Image Map Image Map

Thread: Missing key on Apple II Plus

Default Missing key on Apple II Plus

Hi guys, I'm new. How's it going?

So... can you help me to find a key for the Apple II Plus I just picked up? The M key is missing. I've been told there are multiple different keyboard types, how can I tell which one I have?

photo_2020-05-09_00-03-07.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Single-Vint...-/112580799165

Pretty sure this is the RFI version, which is actually the last release before the IIe replaced the II Plus.

I don't think the keys in that auction are right. They have the "plus" mounting, and his picture shows another mounting type where it's a sideways "T". I'm not sure they are interchangeable so you need to ask an expert.

There are at least 4 or 5 different kinds of keystems and keycaps, so be sure.

There was a guy on eBay that sold all of them for years and you could ask him, but I think he may have passed away. I would ask on the applefritter.com forums.

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    I don't think the keys in that auction are right. They have the "plus" mounting, and his picture shows another mounting type where it's a sideways "T". I'm not sure they are interchangeable so you need to ask an expert.
    All Apple II/II Plus keyboards have the "plus" key caps. One model of the keyboard has the "T" shaft, but it too uses the "plus" key cap. Just make sure the key cap you find has a textured surface and not a smooth glossy surface.

looks like the key stem also broke off. you'll also need to replace that.

Blog Entries

I bought a few keycaps and stalks in 2018 but they dont really seem to be available,

You might be better off with this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-II-...UAAOSwZgBezs~l

bit pricey, but at least its complete. You could then sell off all your key caps as it looks as if the market is almost dry.
    Current fleet
    TRS80 Model 4 - BBC B - Tatung Einstein - PCW9512 - PET 3032 - C64 - ZX81 - Spectrum 48K - Amiga A500 - VAX 3100,3300,4000VLC & 4000 Model 96 - Apple II europlus - Apple iMAC G3. Sharp MZ-80K. - DEC Micro PDP 11/73 - IBM 5160 XT - Multibus 286/10.