Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Compaq Portable EGA card on eBay

I missed the boat. In the future, what particular card is Compaq portable compatible?

There is a list of part numbers here: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...137014&o=OneUp

Technically, it says they require ROM G or later for EGA support. I’ve only got ROM C in my portable and I think I’ve got F in my deskpro, but I need to confirm that. It could explain why I get a beep error of long-short-short when I’ve got the EGA card installed (and the motherboard switches set correctly). It still “works” but I’m guessing something is missing with regards to BIOS support.

Got my card in. I decided you guys were right, the portable II with a 286 and 3 megs of ram installed would be a better choice. I put it in and NADA! Then I checked back to this posting and sure enough HOJOPO posted the dip settings so I have video to the CRT now. And I cant for the life of me remember where I put my stupid SETUP Disks. Well I think it at least works because I can see the text asking me to run setup.

Once I get past that hurdle I think I am going to install and Inport card and mouse (Radracer203 sold me a bagged set and I didnt know what to use it on until now). Guess Windows 3 will do. Then a backpack parallel 3.5" floppy drive and I have something useful.

By the way my card came wrapped in bubble wrap with no ESD baggie either.. Like nails on a chalkboard!

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    By the way my card came wrapped in bubble wrap with no ESD baggie either.. Like nails on a chalkboard!
    We called those "static bags" as opposed to "anti-static bags" at a company where I worked doing 3rd party maintenance on old enterprise stuff. We'd always switch them into a good bag before putting it on the shelf in the warehouse or taking it to the customer.