Image Map Image Map

Thread: Can anybody reputable repair an NEC CDR-206(PI) 2x CD-ROM drive for me?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can anybody reputable repair an NEC CDR-206(PI) 2x CD-ROM drive for me?

Hi, I have an NEC CDR-206(PI) 2x CD-ROM drive that comes from a PC-9821 Cs2 computer. It worked very well for over a year until now where it just suddenly, for seemingly no reason, started making an awful grinding noise when opening and closing the disc tray. It still read discs fine, but it was incredibly annoying. I tried fixing it myself, but then that just made it worse because now the tray keeps getting stuck on something after I took the top piece with the spindle that holds the disc down off and back on so I could look at the gears. I need this particular drive to be working because it's the only one that can be used on this machine without hacking up the case, etc. Please message me if you have the ability to repair old CD drives like this. I really don't think I can do it myself at this point, since I suck at repairing mechanical stuff. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Several of my old CD drives started displaying the same symptoms. Upon examination, it turns out that the plastic teeth in the tray rack are stripping out/breaking. If that's the case, your best course may be to replace the drive.

If that's the case, then that really sucks. This drive is pretty much impossible to get a replacement of outside of buying a whole other computer, which really isn't worth it. And who knows what shape that one would be in even if I did do that. I hear people online talking about how old hard drives are unreliable and you should use compact flash or whatever, but I haven't had that many issues with them. I've gotta say, I've had worse luck with old optical drives by far.

Looking up pictures of the computer, if the drive is standard IDE like I think it is, you should probably be able to find a similar one that will fit in its place

The computer's faceplate is made in such a way that this is the only one that will fit correctly with the flaceplate on, and while you can plug in other IDE optical drives, driver-wise you're very limited with what drives can actually be used.

With a 3d printer anything is possible, if it's just a standard sort of pc clone you should be able to use generic ide drivers.