Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anybody reputable repair an NEC CDR-206(PI) 2x CD-ROM drive for me?

Here's the yellowed gear I was talking about, and notice how some of the teeth look shaved off:

And a quick video I shot:
    https://youtu.be/octa0jY-xOU

The video lets you hear how it sounds and shows that the top spindle thingy keeps scraping for some reason, and I don't know how to fix that. That sometimes causes a CD to scrape against the tray, but not always. I didn't catch it on video, but the tray also now sometimes either gets stuck or goes in and jumps back out. You see at the end that when that doesn't happen, it still accesses the disc fine. I don't want to put the drive back together until I can at least have that fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by tpgb12 View Post
    The video lets you hear how it sounds and shows that the top spindle thingy keeps scraping for some reason, and I don't know how to fix that. That sometimes causes a CD to scrape against the tray, but not always. I didn't catch it on video, but the tray also now sometimes either gets stuck or goes in and jumps back out. You see at the end that when that doesn't happen, it still accesses the disc fine. I don't want to put the drive back together until I can at least have that fixed.
    It's likely that the reason the top spindle is scraping is because the bottom spindle isn't lifting high enough after the tray closes. In the drives I've looked at, it's almost always because the tray is not closing with enough force (there seems to be some momentum needed to get the bottom spindle to 'kick' up properly).

I would bet that gear does have something to do with it.

So, you're basically saying that if the gear was replaced perhaps this whole thing would be fixed? Issue is that I don't have a 3D printer (unless you can somehow buy that gear somewhere) or any knowledge on how to change gears.

Quote Originally Posted by tpgb12 View Post
    So, you're basically saying that if the gear was replaced perhaps this whole thing would be fixed? Issue is that I don't have a 3D printer (unless you can somehow buy that gear somewhere) or any knowledge on how to change gears.
    I can't be 100% confident, but I would bet it's slipping on those ground down teeth and not closing with enough force to fully lift the spindle.

I would go to a university, one that has an engineering department or industrial design/fabrication, they might have the right equipment. You could make it from scratch in CAD, but the easiest way would be a 3D scanner, you could then correct the scan for the deficiency in the gear, then 3D print it.

Blog Entries

The uniqueness of this NEC model seems to be the tray front and the position of the eject button. Would say, a CDR-250 work?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    The uniqueness of this NEC model seems to be the tray front and the position of the eject button. Would say, a CDR-250 work?
    I don't know, and I don't know if anyone's made a full list of compatible drives with this model driver-wise. Something I might try out soon is that I do have a 4x NEC Multispin drive in my NEC Ready 7022 PC (one of my first posts on the site, and I did eventually get it working if anyone is curious). I could take it out temporarily and see if I can at least get it to work as far as drivers go.

Okay, scrap that. Tried the 4x drive briefly and it wouldn't post, and the CD audio cable the CDR-206 uses is totally different to this 4x drive. Honestly, I'm tempted to just put the flakey 2x drive back together and put it back in the machine again.