Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New W7 Gamer

Blog Entries

Default New W7 Gamer

I've been looking for another or new high performance motherboard for gaming that still supports W7. Quality mobo's are scarce these days, as it seems the shut-ins are really getting into computing, gaming, or whatever. My local supply house, MicroCenter, in Madison Heights, MI, is down to about 6 quality boards. I found what I've been look for at B&H Photo in NYC. I ordered an 'Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI' (that a lot of name) as it still supports W7. The board is not normally stocked and had to be order from the source, according to the fellow on the chat line. It kind of struck me that it's like the manufacturer is giving the finger to MS as their official line is "we no longer support W7", but here comes a brand new mobo with a full set of W7 drivers. My take is that as long as there's money to be made and people are interested they're going to oblige. BTW, this board was first introduced in late 2017.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

The official site says Windows 10 and nothing else.

You need to install Windows 7 from a thumbdrive to a SATA drive and have driver disk in the DVD drive. After install you have to migrate the OS to an MVMe is you want to boot from it and you also need a third party software hack to get around Microsoft not supported hardware for updates.

So if you call that supported have fun.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    The official site says Windows 10 and nothing else.

You need to install Windows 7 from a thumbdrive to a SATA drive and have driver disk in the DVD drive. After install you have to migrate the OS to an MVMe is you want to boot from it and you also need a third party software hack to get around Microsoft not supported hardware for updates.

So if you call that supported have fun.
    As I said above, W7 in not officially supported. However, I just completed downloading the complete W7 driver set from the Asus site. Look here: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...Desk_Download/

I think you were looking at version 'VIII' which is in fact W10 only, but I bought version 'VII' which has them all. I'm assuming that this is why it's a special order. Don't tell Bill! (lol)

Late edit: Typo in #1 as I said 'VI' but meant 'VII'. Typo is my middle name these days.

Another late edit: I'm willing to bet you a nickle to a whole in a donut that those 'VII' drivers would work on a 'VIII' board.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; May 13th, 2020 at 06:14 PM.

Blog Entries

I just googled the model you posted and looked up the specs at the manufacturers website.

Anyway hope things work out for you.

One of the reasons I have yet to snag a Ryzen is because of the BS not supporting W7 and I don't want to jump to W10 just yet.

The way things are going maybe when the newest chips come out later this year i might jump in or snag a deal on earlier parts as people upgrade, in no hurry.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I just googled the model you posted and looked up the specs at the manufacturers website.

One of the reasons I have yet to snag a Ryzen is because of the BS not supporting W7 and I don't want to jump to W10 just yet.

The way things are going maybe when the newest chips come out later this year i might jump in or snag a deal on earlier parts as people upgrade, in no hurry.
    I've been looking for a reasonably priced quality W7 board for some time now and I'm hoping this is it. Try Ryzen and you'll never go back. I just last week bought a Ryzen 7 3700X (I know I said 3800X in another thread but it was a typo). It's a W10 system running on an Asus ROG X570 Gaming F with a 5 year old Nvidia 1080. No hiccups or bottlenecking - ever. I'm even running on the stock cooler as opposed to my Corsair liquid setup and haven't had a problem. What I like now is I don't have to sell the farm just to get into quality gaming. Give that 'VII' some thought. I thought the price was right.

Blog Entries

If you haven't seen this you may be interested:

https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/...Desk_Download/

This is the Asus 'EZ installer' for W7. It will supposedly setup your thumb drive for a W7 install with all the necessary drivers. I've never used it but I going to give it a shot.

The last generation of Intel chips to officially support Windows 7 was the 6th gen Celeron/Pentium/i3/i5/i7. The 7th gen is partially supported because it's more or less 6th gen. You'll need to use hacked drivers and WUFUC though to unblock Windows Update. Once you get to the 8th gen and beyond, things get a lot more difficult because Intel provided no official drivers for platforms older than Windows 10. You'll need to make a special Windows 7 install media with drivers for USB 3 and SATA 3 so it doesn't BSOD, if you can find the drivers that work with Win 7.

https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

The last AMD generation was anything based on the Bulldozer architecture or its derivatives. There are reports that early Ryzen chips and older AM4 boards work with Windows 7 using hacked drivers and WUFUC, but I have not tested this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    The last generation of Intel chips to officially support Windows 7 was the 6th gen Celeron/Pentium/i3/i5/i7. The 7th gen is partially supported because it's more or less 6th gen. You'll need to use hacked drivers and WUFUC though to unblock Windows Update. Once you get to the 8th gen and beyond, things get a lot more difficult because Intel provided no official drivers for platforms older than Windows 10. You'll need to make a special Windows 7 install media with drivers for USB 3 and SATA 3 so it doesn't BSOD, if you can find the drivers that work with Win 7.

https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

The last AMD generation was anything based on the Bulldozer architecture or its derivatives. There are reports that early Ryzen chips and older AM4 boards work with Windows 7 using hacked drivers and WUFUC, but I have not tested this.
    Thanks for your interest. This is all about a Ryzen 3000 chip on an Asus Crosshair mobo (450 chipset). Asus has provided the 'Asus EZ Installer' installation tool and I have WUFUC. Hopefully the board will be here next week. Installation goes to a SSD then ported over to a Samsung M.2. Also, all of the W7 drivers are available on the Asus web site.

Blog Entries

Here's a well written and fairly encompassing account of installing W7 on some of the higher end boards:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182...-windows-7-x64

. . . and remember that W7 is tomorrow's vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Thanks for your interest. This is all about a Ryzen 3000 chip on an Asus Crosshair mobo (450 chipset). Asus has provided the 'Asus EZ Installer' installation tool and I have WUFUC. Hopefully the board will be here next week. Installation goes to a SSD then ported over to a Samsung M.2. Also, all of the W7 drivers are available on the Asus web site.
    It'll be interesting to know the result. I may get a Ryzen to replace my main gaming rig eventually, and I'm looking at Linux because Windows 10 is a dumpster fire. Most of the stuff I do will work fine on Linux, but there are a few applications that need Windows, and I'd be nice to have a dual booting Windows 7/Linux box. A virtual machine works fine for some stuff, but not for stuff which needs graphical acceleration.

I have a Ryzen 7 2700x as a game server, and it has been great for that role. I also have a Ryzen 5 2400G for my router/web server, but unfortunately it was a problem child from day one, and I still have issues with it. It originally had a Ryzen 5 1500x, which had the dreaded segfault bug, but also had bad RAM. The Patriot memory I bought from Frys was bad, and I returned it twice for a total of 6 sticks of bad memory. I had to RMA it directly to patriot to get memory that worked. the Gigabyte board used on the build also had numerous issues related to bugs with the AGESA code in the BIOS and I had to fight with them to get a special BIOS build to fix the thing. I think it was six months before I got the system to work reliably.