Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New W7 Gamer

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Yes sir! Exactly what I said I would do!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Yes sir! Exactly what I said I would do!
    Pardon please - didn't mean to come across as being confrontational.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

You navy men can't help yourselves. I understand.

Blog Entries

You navy men can't help yourselves. I understand.
    Before I turned in last night I loaded Tom Clancy's 'Splinter Cell Six 3'. It's a 2 CD game and it loaded up and ran perfectly. The 'No-CD' hack needs some work however. The game was a 'bonus' and normally distributed with a new PC or CPU purchase back in the day. The box says 'W98, W98ME, & XP Only'.
    I guess they just didn't know who they were dealing with.

as it, and up to that point only it explained what was needed for an os to be able to boot on that machine. Namely a file called bootia32.efi. It's that whole.hybrid 32 bit uefi on a 64 bit cpu.
    This is a stupid UEFI problem. There are two different types of Windows install media, legacy BIOS (CSM) and UEFI. You have to make the correct boot media in rufus (it has an option for UEFI or CSM), and have the correct boot mode in the firmware of the motherboard set to boot from UEFI or UEFI-CSM for it to work.

But some manufacturers like HP or Toshiba often have broken UEFI firmwares that make it difficult/impossible to reinstall windows because they have the additional stupid "Secure Boot" option that prevents unsigned kernels from loading.

Rufus often sets parameters automatically. Wheyher or not I went with the options it chose for me, i have the documentation somewhere, if that file was not present, it wouldn'nt boot. I only was able to boot 2 things that I can remember, clonezilla and bionic puppy. Various other distros, or w7 wouldn't work. There's a 64 bit equivalent. There is no setting for legacy boot in it's bios, perhaps it's the default. You can only enable or diable secure boot.

I inquired about getting the 8.1 image specific to the machine, but never followed up. Once I downloaded a start menu utility, I had no big issues with 8.1. Don't care much anymore, screen is just too small. W10 sits stillborn on the ssd.

If anyone can use a slightly beat up but not used very much asus x205t, give a holla.
    Last edited by tipc; July 2nd, 2020 at 02:22 PM.

Rufus often sets parameters automatically.
    Rufus allows you to choose between UEFI-CSM (BIOS) and UEFI (with or without secure boot) when building the flash drive image.

You'll also need to set the partition type to MBR for BIOS or GPT for UEFI.

Wheyher or not I went with the options it chose for me, i have the documentation somewhere, if that file was not present, it wouldn'nt boot.
    The file you mentioned is only required when you have the newer UEFI (with or without secure boot enabled) boot mode. When using UEFI-CSM (which emulates the old BIOS), you can use the older style MBR + BIOS mode in Rufus.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Rufus allows you to choose between UEFI-CSM (BIOS) and UEFI (with or without secure boot) when building the flash drive image.

You'll also need to set the partition type to MBR for BIOS or GPT for UEFI.

The file you mentioned is only required when you have the newer UEFI (with or without secure boot enabled) boot mode. When using UEFI-CSM (which emulates the old BIOS), you can use the older style MBR + BIOS mode in Rufus.
    I bought the asus in 2014, black friday sale. When the opportunity came to upgrade to 10, I went ooh gimme like an idiot. Then forgot my password immediately. Tried some snake oil solutions, all linux based, nothing worked. I did successfully update the bios, as it was suggested that may be my problem. I snooped around for solutions, no help could be found. That is until attempting to boot a windows 7 usb drive, I was told that bootia32.efi was missing in red letters. Ah finally progress. I still was lead to believe only an appropriate windows os would install. Until I got puppy to run live (but not install). Puppy had that file, as did clonezilla I was to learn. And cz is a butt kicking utility, always works perfectly for me. The install instructions need a bit more work.

So I'm still not clear on all these modes and such. I just happened to stumble upon a partial solution.

Blog Entries

There is no setting for legacy boot in it's bios, perhaps it's the default. You can only enable or disable secure boot.
    That's another frustrating thing with UEFI, and I chased my tail for a while on that one. What I finally did was just remove the 'keys' (set to zero) from the UEFI secure boot routine and then turned on 'CSM'. That tidbit just didn't fall out of the sky and land in my lap, I actually has to source it out of the mobo manual, you know, the one with the extremely small print fit for only a piss ant.

I bought the asus in 2014, black friday sale. When the opportunity came to upgrade to 10, I went ooh gimme like an idiot. Then forgot my password immediately. Tried some snake oil solutions, all linux based, nothing worked.
    If you made a Microsoft account when you setup Windows 10, there's no way to recover the password because it's not stored on the machine. The only way that utilities like "NT Offline Password Recovery" will work is if you made a local account when you setup Windows 10. Microsoft makes this really difficult on Windows 10 Home because if it even gets a hint of an internet connection, it will completely disable the ability to make a local account. You have to run setup with no LAN connection or wifi connection. Windows 10 Pro will have an option to make a local account, but it will hound you several times to use a Microsoft account instead. And when you do make a local account, later in setup it will ask you more questions to try and force you to have a Microsoft account.

To recover a Microsoft account, you have to go on their website and use the "forgot password" feature.