Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: New W7 Gamer

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

All I did was download the w10 package from some link and installed. Immediately forgot the pw. I should know better then to make 1 from the getgo. Presumably I can download an image and install over what I got. Or did I try that?

Blog Entries

Crosshair VI Hero Update

The gamer is now fully assembled and running on a legal version of Windows 7 Professional (retail) platform. The main ingredients of the build are as follows:

• Asus Crosshair VI Hero [Wi-Fi AC] motherboard
    • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
    • GSkill 16 GB 3000 RAM (4 x 4)
    • Corsair 750 watt P/S
    • Asus Nvidia GeForce 1080 video card

There are some problems with this build. While in the trial assembly stage, video was by a pair of XFX 7970's in 'Crossfire', and they performed fairly well, albeit somewhat slow for this sort of build. Upon installing the 1080, W7 refuses to see it in Device Manager and therefore will not load the 1080 specific driver set. There is an alternate W10 OS installation on another drive and it boots and runs perfectly with the 1080. So, it's now apparent the initial W7 installation is somewhat borked and a reinstall will be required. Another anomaly with the present W7 install is that the Asus provided chipset drivers do not install properly. When viewing Device Manager, I have noticed that at least 5 PCI devices, like PCI (10), PCI (11), etc., don't not load and there is no specification as to what they belong to or their function. Also, there is a tag on the 'Encryption' chip driver not being loaded. All of this leads me to believe that Asus had provided the wrong chipset driver set for this board. I will be attempting to contact Asus C/S this next week (good luck) in an effort to resolve these problems. Nothing comes easy these days it seems.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

In reference to the above, I found these items that need further research and action:

1). Some of the missing drivers may be be found in the 'C:\AMD' folder.

2) The motherboard has an 'auxiliary' 4-pin power connector next to the 8-pin power connector for CPU power. There is no official explanation in the mobo manual, as the reference to it simply mentions "do not run the mobo off the 4-pin connector as it may overheat". Some have reported that mysteriously, missed PCI functions have started operating properly when the 4-pin connector is used. Some think it only supports the liquid nitrogen cooling function. What ever the case, with all the stuff that I have laying around, I have no 6/8-pin to 4 pin adapters. I do have some 4-pin AT style molex pigtails but I don't like the P/S rail connection. I've already ordered the proper adapter from 'Cool Guys' for $2.98, and it ought to be here during the week. It's always something.

Blog Entries

The video fix:

The gamer in question is my new Asus Crosshair VI Hero with a Ryzen 5 3600, 16 GB of GSkill 3000 RAM (4x4), Asus GTX 1080, Corsair 750 P/S, WD Barracuda 600 GB & Samsung 950 500 GB M.2. The system has Windows 7 Professional in the SATA drive as well as Windows 10 Professional on M.2. This project is dedicated to running W7 on newer/modern hardware and will primarily be used for games of the W7 era and whatever else I throw at it.

The problem surfaced immediately after completing the W7 install, as the system booted but with no graphical support. A quick check in Device Manager indicated that the display driver was the “Standard VGA” driver, as the W7 install routine was unable to identify the GTX 1080.
    I spent most of the past few days researching the cause and effect of this anomaly to no avail, then to my total surprise, I found an obscure link with a hint of a possible workaround:

• Obtain the proper driver set for the video card.
    • Using 7-Zip extract the driver folder only from the installation “.exe” file and save to a folder.
    • For future reference, scan through the contents and identify the particular “inf” file corresponding
    to your card’s ID, as in the case of the 1080 it is ”nvdmi.inf”.
    • Drop the working folder to the problem PC’s desktop and re-boot in the “safe” mode while
    disconnecting from IE.
    • Open Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapter and right click on “Update Driver”.
    • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” then select “Let me pick from a list of drivers on
    my computer” then select “Have Disk”. You will now want to point to the folder containing your
    “.inf” and select it.
    • Run the proper “inf” and your driver should now install.

This procedure should also work with W10. Also, you can now run your video card’s total install package from the top so as to gain some missing features left out of the forced install routine.

Blog Entries

Most of the W7's initial setup problems have been worked out. There is a long list of KB's that need to unloaded, as well as tweaking MS's continuous blast about unsupported hardware. So, this afternoon I installed "Witcher' just for a look see and it was very very good. I'm using an IPS 27" monitor at 2560 x 1440 and the presentation is just what I hoped for. I only played for about 20 minutes but there was no stuttering and/or bottlenecking. Tonight I'll setup Steam and have a go at 'Call of Duty: WWII'. My son bought C of D as I don't care for the Steam thing. However, I do have several that were bonus deals that came with various video cards in the past. So, I'll see how goes and find out if W7 has any problems with it.

Blog Entries

Installed Steam and downloaded 'Call of Duty: WWII'. I have fast internet service and it and it took almost 50 minutes for the download to complete. Game play was/is as and good as it gets. I set the resolution for 2560 x 1440 and played for about a half hour with absolutely no issues. So, this project is just about complete and the takeaways are obvious; finding a legal retail version W7 Pro was expensive and trying, as well as the USB 3.1 issues along with some unexpected video driver problems. The final step is to transfer the OS from the SATA drive to the M.2 using Asus's utility. It's reassuring to know that in spite of MS's current marketing policies, at least Asus and Gigabyte have the gamers and hobbyist in mind with their W7 driver and utilities support. Not much I don't like about the system except for the CH6's unusually long boot time - about 50 seconds or so.

Blog Entries

Well here's another kick in the pants on this W7 build. I purchased a Crucial P1 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD for the C6H system and there are no W7 drivers for it. The MS fix is no longer available.

(https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...in-nvm-express -in-windows-7-and-wi)

I had a problem with the BIOS detecting the Crucial but resolved that implementing RAID and then it became visible for whatever reason. Previously, I was using a Samsung 950 500GB and there were no setup issues, as Samsung is one of few mfr's that fully support W7 along with Intel. WD sort of does but their install requires MS's KB fix which you can no longer download, as you get the "please upgrade to W10" routine. So, it's back to the store for the Samsung 980 1TB M.2 at a considerable increase in price. I would like it to be known that this W7 project does not come cheap. BTW, I took the time to contact Crucial's customer support and they were very apologetic but more or less said tough poop.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; Yesterday at 06:04 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Thank you very much and I knew someone had to have it squirreled away. Too late though, as I just got back from returning the Crucial and bought the the Samsung 1TB 970 EVO+. This caps the last major purchase for this project. I'll try and get it cloned tonight and see how it goes.