Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New W7 Gamer

Blog Entries

The new Asus Crosshair VI Hero arrived yesterday morning and I'm couldn't hardly wait to get it setup. Great looking board with more features than anything else I've seen or had. To bad it wouldn't post and no video. I was unable to update the BIOS either. With this board, as with may other Asus boards, you do not need a CPU or RAM installed in order to update the BIOS. Long story short, I called Asus customer service and they answered on the 2nd ring. The agent took all of the pertinent information and then directed me to the RMA chat site. A tech came right on and we discussed the problem and he issued the RMA with a pre-payed FedEx shipping label. Their policy is to repair your board and return it to you ready to go. This is unlike Gigabyte who just boxes up what ever they have laying around and that's what you get. Never mind a few dings and scratches here and there and you remember that you sent them a pristine board for rework. Anyway, first Asus failure that I've ever had and that goes back a long way. They said 7 to 10 days turn around not including travel. The repair depot is in Indiana so travel won't be much of an issue.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

You probably should have taken up close detailed pictures of the motherboard because ASUS RMAs are horrible. Plenty of horror stories over on hardforum of ASUS damaging boards and returning them to the customer claiming the customer did the damage and voiding warranties.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    You probably should have taken up close detailed pictures of the motherboard because ASUS RMAs are horrible. Plenty of horror stories over on hardforum of ASUS damaging boards and returning them to the customer claiming the customer did the damage and voiding warranties.
    I did take about 8 shots of the board covering all angles. Even the guy on the chat line suggest taking pictures. They would have a hard time explaining any damage as it was in my hands less than 24 hours.

Good! Hope the RMA goes well then.

Blog Entries

Received an email from the Asus repair folks this morning and apparently they are sending me a NIB board to replace the original NIB board. According to the shipper, it's supposed to be delivered FedEx this Sunday - not bad service so far. I have no clue as to what the problem(s) were on the original, but it must have been severe. BTW, this new build will get a NIB copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Blog Entries

The replacement NIB Asus ROG Crosshair Hero (WI-FI AC) arrived today around noon time via FedEx (in perfect shape). It's now installed and fully operational. I booted off a Samsung 950 M.2 with W10 which was left behind by the previous Asus Z170-Deluxe mobo with no problems. Device Manager showed 5 files which were updated by the Hero's installation CD and 3 files that were Intel specific and thus deleted. The included WI-FI adapter made things easy with respect to other updates. So, it's up and running for now, and the next step is to get W7 64-bit loaded in. If it rains here tomorrow, as predicted, I give it a shot, otherwise I'm off to pick up about 15 bags of mulch.

BTW, at no time did this board's BIOS cry or moan about MS stipulating you must reinstall the OS. I attribute that to this board being from 2017 where MS hadn't 'laid the law' down yet.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; May 31st, 2020 at 04:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Another gravy stain on the bow tie of life. I just found out from MS that the NIB Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate that I just purchased about a week ago is counterfeit. I received it in what appeared to be brand new condition, fully shrink wrapped, and with a MS seal on disk container. The folks at MS said that the key was no stranger to them as it had been tried many times before.

So, I'll send the seller an email via Ebay and give her the bad news. Before I made the purchase I inquired whether or not the key was valid and she was very emphatic about it being okay. This is one the times that I'm glad I went the Ebay route.

MS was pretty good about the whole thing and even setup a bootable W7 64-bit Ultimate version on my USB drive, via remote control. I'm going to go ahead and get it installed in the Hero and worry about the a valid key latter.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Can you post some photos (or email me). I'm curious what the packaging and dvd looks like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Can you post some photos (or email me). I'm curious what the packaging and dvd looks like.
    Maybe later on. You can Google 'Microsoft 7 Ultimate' and get a good idea of it (square semi-clear plastic box with a one rounded corner and a card with the key code). It's standard MS packaging with both, 32 & 64 bit CD's. I received an email from the seller this morning, who was most apologetic, and she is in the process of refunding the purchase price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Send me a PM with your email address as the jpg is 3.5 MB and too large for the forum if you're still interested.