Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New W7 Gamer

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

I bought a W10 dvd + key + "coa sticker" on ebay a few months ago. Funny thing, and while it all seems legit, the "coa sticker" plainly states "this is not a coa". I message the seller with photos and ask "does this look like a coa?". He immediately refunds my money. So being a kind hearted fool I message backnandd say I'll investigate the legitimacy of such a product. I get busy and say screw it send me your paypal address and I'll just pay the 26$ lol. His pp info couldn't be found once the auction was binned. I made it clear, I need your pp address to pay you as I'm not seeing it anywhere. He says send it to the address that I paid to previously and was refunded from. So I concluded he really didn't want to be paid or was paranoid. The os installs, but I haven't yet gone online with it. Or called M$.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I bought a W10 dvd + key + "coa sticker" on ebay a few months ago. Funny thing, and while it all seems legit, the "coa sticker" plainly states "this is not a coa". I message the seller with photos and ask "does this look like a coa?". He immediately refunds my money. So being a kind hearted fool I message backnandd say I'll investigate the legitimacy of such a product. I get busy and say screw it send me your paypal address and I'll just pay the 26$ lol. His pp info couldn't be found once the auction was binned. I made it clear, I need your pp address to pay you as I'm not seeing it anywhere. He says send it to the address that I paid to previously and was refunded from. So I concluded he really didn't want to be paid or was paranoid. The os installs, but I haven't yet gone online with it. Or called M$.
    That "this is not a coa" is printed on the label but not on the sticker you remove and stick onto the machine.ps12687629-oem_french_language_microsoft_windows_10_pro_software_online_activation_with_coa_stic.jpg
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Well, I was on the phone almost 2 hours with MS and they were pretty good about it. They put together a Windows 7 Ultimate ISO and downloaded it to my PC. I still have to find a legit key somewhere. After further review, and when you take a real good look at the box, you can see it's slightly dog eared and been around the block a few times. I'm trying to get the 'Asus EZ Installer' up and running so as to slip the required USB drivers in to complete the setup. The other option is to install a minimum W7 on a SATA drive in another PC and then port it back to the M.2 on this new build. The new Crosshair VI Hero board has all of the required drivers plus a ton of utilities including a migration tool. Another thing, MS tells you up front that they don't support W7 but then jump right in and give you a hand.

Tom
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    That "this is not a coa" is printed on the label but not on the sticker you remove and stick onto the machine.ps12687629-oem_french_language_microsoft_windows_10_pro_software_online_activation_with_coa_stic.jpg
    I'm aware there's a portion of the larger sticker that can be removed. But why does any part of the entire sticker say "this is not a coa"??? Something isn't kosher. Most or all sellers blank out that portion of the sticker. There is an oem or otherwise known as a "system builder" edition of w10. The exact specifics regarding legal use are nowhere to be found graven in stone afaik. Oem versions of w10 pro are ~125$ on newegg. There has to be a reason these versions are so cheap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I'm aware there's a portion of the larger sticker that can be removed. But why does any part of the entire sticker say "this is not a coa"??? Something isn't kosher. Most or all sellers blank out that portion of the sticker. There is an oem or otherwise known as a "system builder" edition of w10. The exact specifics regarding legal use are nowhere to be found graven in stone afaik. Oem versions of w10 pro are ~125$ on newegg. There has to be a reason these versions are so cheap.
    Probably because the other half of the sticker has most (or all) of the COA serial on it and it keeps people from using that half on another machine? The other half is for record keeping.

Anyway OEM is for the big OEMs, system builder is for people who refurbish old used machines and either don't have the COA sticker on them or it is for an older version of Windows so MS set up a system where those large rebuilders can get a new COA. Its cheap because it was meant to get some cash out of machines MS already got paid for and to limit piracy.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Doesn't make much sense to me. Why have 2 parts tonthe sticker. Iow print everything on the removable portion and be done with it. There wouldn't need to be a disclaimer on any part of the stickčr. My guess is that type of product was intended for a specific licensing scheme. In older times there were windows server cd's that didn't even require a key. I have a couple. Had an entirely different version previously that came on 2 cds.

Blog Entries

The Holy Grail with any of this is to stumble upon an 'Enterprise' edition. BTW, my W7 box had a COA sticker but it looked like it was applied like a twice licked stamp. Most probably steamed off of a lesser package of something.

Blog Entries

The Asus Crosshair VI Hero is now up and running with a W7 Ultimate USB ISO installed. The procedure was straight forward, not all 'kludgey', and should work on most motherboard installations. As some may or may not be aware, the stumbling block is that lack of USB 3.1 driver support in W7's install routine. The're many ways around this but this is the way I went and here's how it works:

1) A working PC or laptop with net access.

2) Download Gigabyte's W7 Tool: (https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gigabyte- windows-7-usb-installation-tool.249384/) and WUFUC (https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc/releases W7 support nag eliminator.

3) Bootable 32 GB USB drive containing a W7 ISO (MS download is the best way to go if you have the keys).

4) With the USB inserted in the working PC/laptop, run the Gigabyte tool, and then from the app's menu, select the USB 3.1 drivers integration/insertion option

5) Ensure the target PC BIOS is optioned for USB boot.

6) Insert the motherboard DVD in the SATA CDROM (USB external CDROM will not work) on the target PC.

7) Do not go on-line at this time and do not enter the key or attempt to activate during the install.

8) Insert the USB drive in the target's USB 2.0 (usually for BIOS) receptacle.

9) Boot the target PC from the USB drive and commence the install.

10) Upon completion of the W7 installation and before you go on-line, locate and install the 'WUFUC' app which will allow a Ryzen equipped PC to coexist with W7 and receive updates without the 'Hardware not supported' blurbs.

I chose the Gigabyte routine over Asus's because I already had a bootable W7 USB ISO. The Asus routine will lead you through building a bootable ISO and seems a little more involved. Yes, there are other ways to go but this one I can vouch for.

Blog Entries

Today I finally received my boxed "Windows 7 Professional", which is an "Update" version, and as its been on order for about 10 days or so and was held up at the Seattle USPS Distribution Center for over 4 days. No knock on those folks has they've got their hands full and are very short on personnel.

To recap, I installed a MS provided version of W7 Ultimate, via an ISO (MS default key), in order to the Crosshair VI Hero up and running. This version was courteously made available to me when it was discovered that the shrink wrapped package that I had purchase, was indeed, counterfeit. It is becoming extremely difficult to find to legal, boxed versions of W7. Beware of OEM versions as you may have 'key' issues.

In any event, I now (supposedly) have the sanction stuff and I'm going to attempt to get it installed and properly registered. One little hitch is that I will be attempting to do a 'downgrade' from W7 Ultimate to W7. Professional. What happens in this event is 2 small registry hacks removes 'Ultimate' and replaces it with 'Professional' for naming purposes. This hack is applied prior to running the upgrade. Hopefully, and since the present W7 Ultimate version is up and running with USB 3.1 well in place, the upgrade procedure will carry through without incident. If not, I'll be forced to take the long way around in reinstall W7 Professional through an ISO with its Gigabyte USB 3.1 driver hack and the WUFUC add-in.

A kitten for those hd 7970s. In any color you want as long as it's black.