Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: New W7 Gamer

Blog Entries

As a W7 gaming platform the system works very well. However, in Device Manager there is some work to be done and here's where it gets somewhat complicated: On the motherboard there are two Molex power connectors adjacent to the CPU socket. One is designated EATX12V_1 8-pin and the other is EATX12V_2 4-pin. No where in the user manual does it describe the function of the latter other than stating not to run the mobo only using the 4-pin connector as the motherboard could overheat.

On the Asus forums as well as Tom's and Overclocker, the explanations run from "absolutely not needed" to "it's just there if you're running liquid nitrogen cooling". That's really hard to buy and it's Asus's fault for not providing the correct info. So, back to the Device Manager. Although everything appears to be working DM shows 5 PCI ports, the encryption chip, and the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller do not have drivers assigned, and there seems to be no way to activate them regardless of the various driver combinations. Enter EATX12V_2 4-pin. I was able to get the correct PCIe cable extender from Newegg and finally power up the mysterious 4-pin connector. Now back to the DM, all of the flagged items loaded properly with the single exception of the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller.

This motherboard has 4 USB 2.0 ports and no less than 8 USB 3.0 ports as well as 2 USB 3.1 ports on the rear panel riser. The first row of 4 each USB ports are designated USB 3.0 1-2-3-& 4 and do not work. The 3rd row of USB 3.0 5-6-7 & 8 do work and well as the 2nd row USB 2.0 11-12-13 & 14. There are 2 USB 3.1 ports but I have no way of checking them at this time because of the connector styles.

So far I've tested about 8 different driver combinations to no avail. With this Covid thing, it's very hard to get in touch with the Asus customer service except for the bots. It seems that I'm not the only one with this problem, and most of the 'expert' advice alway seems to end with a great tip that you need to reinstall Windows. Not going to happen. When I get it figured out I'll post it.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

I was ready to cry this morning. Finally, after almost a month, received my new C6H from Asus repair. I took my time and installed the board in the case along with the new Fractal ION+ 660 Watt modular supply. When I powered it up, the board lights came on (plenty of those), but no system or CPU fans, and the double digit Q counter was not lit, and most importantly - no POST. No matter how long you been doing this sort of thing there's always some little thing that can or will make a monkey out you. In this case, the new modular P/S and mobo were fine. What happened was that I grabbed the wrong or PCI cable for the CPU 8-pin input. The PCI cable, as most of you know, usually comes as 6x2; i.e., pin 1 is 12v, pin 4 is 3.3 v, pin 6 is 5v, and the rest are grounds, and the Molex is faintly marked PCI. The twin 4 pin Molex consists of a total of 4 12v pins and their 4 grounds, and is faintly marked CPU. I didn't fully realise what had happened until I jerked the C6H mobo out and powered it up on the bench with a different P/S, and then everything was great and life was beautiful once again. NOW my first thought was that the new Fractal P/S had some problems, but a lightbulb went off and I went over the cabling, and sure enough, the PCI 6x2 cable was the culprit. Now I've got to stuff everything back in the box and would like to have a smoke, but I quit that nasty thing back in '85.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Have an iced coffee then. Chug a lug.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    and I went over the cabling, and sure enough, the PCI 6x2 cable was the culprit. Now I've got to stuff everything back in the box and would like to have a smoke, but I quit that nasty thing back in '85.
    Ah, yes. The old switching the PCIe power for the CPU power connector. Whichever genius decided it was a good idea to use the same connector with the same keying for two opposite polarity cables that reside within close proximity to each other needs to be hogtied and thrown in an angry shark tank.

Thankfully most motherboard manufacturers saw this glaring design oversight and implemented polarity protection. I actually have a motherboard with an integrated POST code display that has an error code specifically for this situation. I found out the hard way doing the exact same thing and wondering why the board wouldn't power up. The PSU in question didn't identify which connector was which, and had an EPS12V connector, so the PCIe 8 pin and the EPS connector looked identical. Coupled with it using all black wires, knowing the polarity was impossible. Fortunately the POST code told me what was wrong.

One is designated EATX12V_1 8-pin and the other is EATX12V_2 4-pin. No where in the user manual does it describe the function of the latter other than stating not to run the mobo only using the 4-pin connector as the motherboard could overheat.
    The eight pin is an EPS12V connector, the four pin is a P4 power connector. You can get away with only using a 4 pin power connector if the CPU is a lower power model. I would use the eight pin for midrange and higher CPUs and both for top end parts and overclocking. The motherboard wouldn't really overheat, the connector would. I've seen plenty of burned P4 power and EPS12V connectors which only had a 4 pin plugged into them.

Blog Entries

The C6H has a strange CPU power setup. The auxiliary 4 pin 12v connector, adjacent to the 8 pin 12v CPU power connector, is listed as optional and the manual does not go into detail. The manual only states not to operate the motherboard with only the 4 pin 12v as the source of primary power as the motherboard may overheat. The consensus of opinion is that it was intended to supply power for a cryo cooling setup. However, I have found that if in fact, the 4 pin 12v connector is not connected, some of the USB driver set does not load or show up in Device Manager. So now I'm struggling with the P/S cable configuration to find an extra 4 pin 12v source. I do have a short (in length) 6 pin to twin 4 pin adapter of which one side of the 4 pin plug has 12 v, so I guess I'll give that a try and if it doesn't fly, I go with something off of one of the 4 pin (IDE) molex leads.

I do have a short (in length) 6 pin to twin 4 pin adapter of which one side of the 4 pin plug has 12 v, so I guess I'll give that a try and if it doesn't fly
    That adapter is for the 8 pin PCIe power, not the P4 power connector, the polarity is going to be inverted and will either cause something to blow up or cause the board to not power on at all.

Ideally, you need a power supply with both an EPS12V and P4 power connector. I'm surprised your PSU doesn't have that, because most PSUs 600W and up usually have both.

This is the adapter you need, but I don't really recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GBILYU/

If you do use it, plug it into the molex connector closest to the PSU on the power wire, and don't plug anything else into the entire connector chain.

Blog Entries

A little late on this for a response, but my 80th birthdays was last Sunday and I had 14 family members showed up all at once from as far away a Utah, Tennessee, and Texas. So, haven't much time for this sort of thing.

Anyway, I have that Molex to 4 pin 12V adapter on the way. I checked my Seasonic 900 modular configuration and it doesn't have a 4 pin 12v lead either. I kind of think that the Gigabyte C6H & C7H are bastard configurations and not very common. My new Asus Rog Strix X570-F Gamer doesn't have the 4 pin 12v CPU connector either.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

and many more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    and many more
    Thank you sir, you're a gentleman and a scholar and there aren't too many of use left.

Blog Entries

A little late on this for a response, but my 80th birthdays was last Sunday and I had 14 family members showed up all at once from as far away a Utah, Tennessee, and Texas. So, haven't much time for this sort of thing.

Anyway, I have that Molex to 4 pin 12V adapter on the way. I checked my Seasonic 900 modular configuration and it doesn't have a 4 pin 12v lead either. I kind of think that the Gigabyte C6H & C7H are bastard configurations and not very common. My new Asus Rog Strix X570-F Gamer doesn't have the 4 pin 12v CPU connector either.
    The Molex to 4 pin 12v adapter is here and will be installed as soon as company clears out Thursday, and then it will be back to work on the W7 gamer. Also C6H & C7H reference above should read Asus not Gigabyte.