Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Model 16A - HDC type 4 + DREM issue

That is a good sign but try the full read/write/verify tests when you have time.

My recent challenging experience with DREM has been on a M16 with a Type II HDA. All the HD tests run successfully, I even run a complete write/read all tracks session with the HD data reliability test with no issue. The DREM boots XENIX fine. But after a few minutes the system stops responding to the point where even the reset button doesn't work. System works fine with a real Tandy HD. Nothing unusual on the DREM logs. Next step is to work with Oleksander who has been very helpful in the past.

The Xenix technical docs emphasize just how sensitive XENIX 3 is to timing issues and such so I suspect this is where the issue lies. There are assumptions made on how the set of approved drives work in combination with controllers and interface boards.

I would just like one thing to be easy and work out of the box with the 8" systems.

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    My recent challenging experience with DREM has been on a M16 with a Type II HDA. All the HD tests run successfully, I even run a complete write/read all tracks session with the HD data reliability test with no issue. The DREM boots XENIX fine. But after a few minutes the system stops responding to the point where even the reset button doesn't work. System works fine with a real Tandy HD. Nothing unusual on the DREM logs. Next step is to work with Oleksander who has been very helpful in the past.
    Type #4 controller and the DREM past all tests up-to and including formatting a 1024 cylinder drive perfectly.

Peter, can you do the introductions with Oleksander so we can all worth this through?

Gotta love a challenge!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkie101 View Post
    Type #4 controller and the DREM past all tests up-to and including formatting a 1024 cylinder drive perfectly.

Peter, can you do the introductions with Oleksander so we can all worth this through?

Gotta love a challenge!
    info@drem.info is his direct line.

5. Default

My 16A has been finicky with DREM. My system is a bit of a unicorn, though, in that it has the 8 MHz 68000 board and the matching 512K/1MB memory board. So it may not be the best comparison. I've got a Type 2 card controller in mine (http://electrickery.xs4all.nl/comp/t...usCardZoo.html), using Peter's DREM-optimized 3.2 image w/ the Development System. I can say that I've had situations where the system was working fine until I upgraded the DREM software. After that I'd get random 'BOOT ERROR H?' errors, where ? could be any one of the available errors in the ROM. Fortunately, before every DREM upgrade I take a backup of the card and software, so I was able to make it work again. I eventually did upgrade DREM's firmware, but I ended up starting with a new drive image, as my original one was too unstable under newer firmware versions. I don't know what I did to break it.

When it works, it seems to be stable, though I rarely upgrade my DREM firmware for fear of angering the beast. I'm not using the DREM's floppy support (I use an HxC2001 for that), since I'm not sure if that'll affect the timing and throw things out of whack given XENIX's sensitivity.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by TJBChris View Post
    My 16A has been finicky with DREM. My system is a bit of a unicorn, though, in that it has the 8 MHz 68000 board and the matching 512K/1MB memory board. So it may not be the best comparison. I've got a Type 2 card controller in mine (http://electrickery.xs4all.nl/comp/t...usCardZoo.html), using Peter's DREM-optimized 3.2 image w/ the Development System. I can say that I've had situations where the system was working fine until I upgraded the DREM software. After that I'd get random 'BOOT ERROR H?' errors, where ? could be any one of the available errors in the ROM. Fortunately, before every DREM upgrade I take a backup of the card and software, so I was able to make it work again. I eventually did upgrade DREM's firmware, but I ended up starting with a new drive image, as my original one was too unstable under newer firmware versions. I don't know what I did to break it.

When it works, it seems to be stable, though I rarely upgrade my DREM firmware for fear of angering the beast. I'm not using the DREM's floppy support (I use an HxC2001 for that), since I'm not sure if that'll affect the timing and throw things out of whack given XENIX's sensitivity.

-Chris
    This is the exact configuration I'm running. Would it be possible to share your configuration, ie. which DREM software and firmware versions are you using? I'm using the latest of everything on mine and am having problems. Thanks.

Chris, could you post a copy of the PIC firmware and Service Core that works well on the DREM for you?

Quote Originally Posted by dlightman View Post
    Chris, could you post a copy of the PIC firmware and Service Core that works well on the DREM for you?
    If we can narrow down the versions causing problems it could be helpful feedback to Oleksandr.

9. Default

Sure, I will take a look sometime this weekend and post the combinations I have on my system. I hope it's helpful.

-Chris

10. Default

OK, the weekend came early!

The attached link contains the DREM software and PIC images as well as my configuration (I just copied them straight from the SD card and removed my disk images). I also added a "Start Here" folder has a few other items. The read me file in that folder outlines the other items in that folder as well as which PIC firmware I installed. It was too big to upload here.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can provide from my system. I can't promise Domino's Pizza levels of service, but I'll do it when I can.

https://www.bentperception.com/tjbchris-drem.zip

-Chris