Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Programs/games that make good use of EMS 3.2 hardware on an XT?

Blog Entries

I've got GeoWorks Ensemble 1.2 Pro. I bought it new in '92ish on my RedStone XT Turbo with EGA. It's running on top or DRDos 6.0. No EMS and using it's GeoCom terminal emulator to act as a dumb terminal via my test rig with Coral Linux 1.1.2 It works great in a window with the Motif theme.. https://www.vogons.org/download/file...489&mode=view\ GeoWorks creates a swap file on the hdd. You can alter the size of that in the Preference application. Quatro Pro runs independent of GeoWorks.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Quatro Pro runs independent of GeoWorks.
    It does have that minimal "Quattro Pro Viewer" app that runs when you double-click on a Quattro file; I guess it's supposed to sort of act like a proxy for if you embed a Quattro file into some other kind of document?(??) I will definitely need to play more with it all.

I now have Windows 2.11 installed and working, although I have discovered that if I try to use the Tandy 1000 four-color video driver Windows crashes after the startup screen if I have DOS loaded into a UMB. It seems to work fine with the plain CGA driver, though. I'm guessing I'll have to actually install some app that's EMS aware to see if I'm really getting anything out of it. The installer recognized that I had 1024k of EMS when it offered to configure Smartdrv.sys, but the "About..." dialog in MS-DOS executive shows the same amount of memory free regardless of whether I have the EMS driver loaded or not.

(I never thought I'd say this but... wow, I actually miss Program Manager.)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    It does have that minimal "Quattro Pro Viewer" app that runs when you double-click on a Quattro file; I guess it's supposed to sort of act like a proxy for if you embed a Quattro file into some other kind of document?(??) I will definitely need to play more with it all.
    ZYeah you can cut n paste the contents of the spread sheet into a GeoWrite document. GeoWorks 2.0 came with a native PCGeos spread sheet and a null-modem file transfer program.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    To test your EMS 3.2 board for functionality, use these programs: ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Soft...ls/testems.zip
    Probably was putting the cart before the horse installing Geos and Windows first, but I can confirm my hardware implementation passes all the tests in this suite. (With the expected notification that alternate hardware registers, etc, aren't supported.)

If anyone's interested here's a picture of the board I'm messing with. (Note the Tandy Plus Bus connector instead of normal ISA.) This picture was taken before I plugged in the two RAM chips that provide the EMS, I wanted a picture of the weasely way I hid the bypass caps under the sockets to pack things as tightly as possible.

Tandy_EMS_Card.jpg

I'm kind of proud of it at this point. (Translation: amazed it works.) The two GALs have all the logic for decoding 384k conventional RAM backfill, up to 128k of upper memory blocks, a flash ROM and clock/calendar chip, an 8-bit XT-CF-Lite port, the dual serial port chip, and the EMS page registers stuffed into them.

Edit: I just noticed that by removing the /3 switch I had on the EMS driver the Windows MS-DOS executive "about..." now reports I have 1024k of expanded RAM free. Apparently Windows wants an EMS 4 compatible driver?

Minor update to "what can you do to suck up EMS on an XT": I can confirm that Word for Windows 1.0 is happy to grab a big slice of EMS and run with it. Just after starting it up and sitting there staring at a blank document "About..." claims that Word has grabbed about 400k.

But, man, it sure ain't fast at 7mhz.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Microsoft Word for DOS (the "M" in "LIM"). No Microsoft docs or advertisements mention that it uses EMS that I could find, but I was able to prove that, version 5.0 at least, definitely uses EMS.
    I’ve got a copy of 5.5 in the box and it says “Extended or expanded memory (EMS 3.2)” under the options, below the systems requirements.