Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Homebrew MicroVAX II

Default A Homebrew MicroVAX II

Hi All,

For years I wanted to have a MicroVAX II that would be livingroom-friendly, i.e. quiet and nice to look at.
    After about a month of construction, two power supplies, three custom PCBs and six quiet fans, the homebrew MicroVAX II is ready.

The machine currently runs its own HTTP server, hosting a (basic) web site that tells its story, how it was constructed, what software is installed on it, and lots of general MicroVAX II facts and anecdotes.

It is quiet, interesting (especially for kids), and also functions as a [power hungry] clock: the display is a POS VFD 2x20 character RS232 display hooked up directly to the console port, with very accurate time as the machine runs NTP.

The elongated custom panel PCB seen on the side of the machine is a combination DHV11 cabinet kit, dual Ethernet AUI cabinet kit, a BA23 front panel LED & switch interface (not used on this machine) and FUNCT SEL/SLU holder (also not used, as the SLU is mounted facing the front).
    I will post the manufacturing files and bill of materials for this board, in case someone ever wants to build one.

To save a very long post - you can go to the web site on the machine itself and check it all out.
    The web address appears on the POS screen in one of the attached photos below, just add "http://" in front and ":50224" at the end.

-Alon.

20200424_152627.jpg20200424_152701.jpg20200424_152740.jpg20200511_131216.jpg20200511_131625.jpg20200512_184431.jpg

Very Cool

Quite different. I’m sure your idea of livingroom friendly is different from my wife’s though!

Very nice.

Nice work! Cool that it's serving a site about itself... I did pay you a visit

Quote Originally Posted by bobaboba View Post
    Quite different. I’m sure your idea of livingroom friendly is different from my wife’s though!
    On my side this conflict (along with many others) has been resolved. The mechanism is called Divorce

Can you call Field Service on the rotary-dial phone?

Quote Originally Posted by saipan59 View Post
    Can you call Field Service on the rotary-dial phone?
    Couldn't get pulse dialing to work. So sadly no...

Quote Originally Posted by Alegend View Post
    On my side this conflict (along with many others) has been resolved. The mechanism is called Divorce
    Same here. It really is for the best though. Old computers are important. :3
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Interesting! Had a look at your microvax2 museum site. I am quite interested in the replacement TOY board. Did you just make the one PCB? Or do you have any to sell? I am in the UK, if there are others in the UK who are interested it might be worth seeing if we can get a few PCBs made? I have no idea how easy or hard that might be though.