Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List of all Xerox computers

Blog Entries

Default List of all Xerox computers

Hi there,

I am doing research for a video project and am trying to nail down exactly how many forays into computing Xerox had over the years. I've been trying to find a comprehensive list of all their computer products but my Google-fu skills might be deserting me.

I'm aware of:

The Alto
    The Star
    820 Series
    and the 1805/1810 portable.

I had thought there were some PC compatibles in there (other than the 16/.. but I can't recall.

Blog Entries

The Xerox 6060 was an OEM'd Olivetti M24.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

The Xerox 6085 "Daybreak"

The Xerox 1800 is the "Sunrise".

Blog Entries

There were many more--consider for example, the XDS minis (after Xerox acquired SDS).

500 series
    Sigma 9

I don't see those in collectors' hands nowadays, but in the early 70s, they were very popular. (LMSC/Lockheed had a bunch of them).

About a year after Xerox bought Diablo systems, I visited the old Diablo building, where I was introduced to an 8080-based system, called the "Merchant", which became the Diablo 3200 Small Business Computer. Marketed after Xerox acquired Diablo, so definitely a Xerox product.

There are probably more.

Blog Entries

Many thanks for these.

Would it be fair to critique Xerox's committment to personal computing as somewhat halfhearted? I'm thinking in particular of the 820 and the 'Sunrise' machines, the latter of which in particular seemed to be a case of 'throwing money at a market'. From what I have read so far, the 'copier guys' in the company have tended to be less than supportive, if not outright hostile to Xerox's forays into computing for various reasons such as lower sales commissions, the feeling that it was a distraction from their core business, etc.

Another question - Xerox's abortive attempt to take over HP - was that about computing, or more about their printing business? Something else? 50/50?

Blog Entries

Xerox was never about personal computing--they were (and probably are) all business-oriented. The 820 and like were all targeted toward small business. Don't forget that for the longest time (and perhaps still?) they identify themselves as "the document company".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIuSjbVTSzA

I think that attitude still obtains today with their printers and copy machines.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Xerox was never about personal computing--they were (and probably are) all business-oriented. The 820 and like were all targeted toward small business. Don't forget that for the longest time (and perhaps still?) they identify themselves as "the document company".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIuSjbVTSzA

I think that attitude still obtains today with their printers and copy machines.
    So most likely the abortive HP takeover was probably about the printing side of their business more than anything else?

Blog Entries

Could be--I can't fathom what they'd do with the server and PC side.

Could also be for the IP and/or customer base.

Heaven knows, HP isn't Bill and Dave's company any more--at least not since Carly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    at least not since Carly.
    The legacy of Carly Fiorina.
    Made the disastrous merger with Compaq.
    Made the famous statement that Americans think HP jobs are their God given right, well now they're going to compete with the rest of the work for those jobs. Then outsourced 30,000 of HP's US high tech jobs to China and India.