Image Map Image Map

Thread: Model 4 White vs Green CRT?

Default Model 4 White vs Green CRT?

On the Model 4, is the later green CRT significantly clearer/less straining than the earlier white one, or is it really just a matter of preference?

Thanks!
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

I think it's a matter of taste. I've had both white and green, and once had an amber monitor on loan. The contrast seems better to me on the green monitors. Both of my Model 4Ps have green screens. When I use an emulator I opt for amber or green.

I think it depends on how sensitive you are to flicker. The TV phosphors in the white tube are within my "peripheral vision flicker" threshold at 60hz but I don't remember them being too bad. 50hz MDA monitors kill me, though with any phosphor other than long-persistance green.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Well I have worked on Model 3 and 4 , in white and green from RS models, and Green and Amber from Langley crt's and I would say the Greens ones from RS where not as soft as the Langley ones, but like your open question was prefaced, "is it a matter of preference?" I would say yes, I prefer Green or Amber and I am lucky to have some of both types, the white, tires my eyes if I am programming more than 2 hours. the green or amber doesn't.
    Gaming: i7-8700K, 16GB, 1TB SSD, RTX 2060, Dual 27" LG IPS Monitors.
    Vintage: TRS-80 MODEL 4, 128K RAM, 360K FDD, Gotek USB FDD, FreHD HDD, RS232-WIFI MODEM, DWP-510.
    Programmer: Dell Inspiron 660S i3-3220 with 16GB Ram, running a BK-844USB & EP-2A-88.
    Web Site: https://texastandyrestoration.com/
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TexasTandyRestorations/

So as far as sharpness, say if one were going to install a high-rez video card, the white CRT is just as sharp? I mean, it's a computer-grade CRT, not some repurposed TV tube?
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

With monochrome tubes sharpness is pretty much up to the control circuitry, although I guess you could argue some phosphors might bloom or smear more than others when driven too brightly. It’s just a pane of glass with glowing paint on it, there’s no shadow mask.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs