Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM 5160 with Quadram setup

Default IBM 5160 with Quadram setup

Hello, I have a ďbigĒ problem with my IBM 5160 witch has on board 640k RAM, I try to add more RAM so I got a memory card Quadram full populated with 384k (6 row x64 k) and Iím stuck in programming the dip Switch Settings, I have try manny different combination but no join and I end up thinking my motherboard canít access more then 640k RAM. Itís anything I miss understand ? If anyone know and have 5 minute for me please help me. Thanks a millions.

Blog Entries

That Quadram board is made to supplement a system with 256k on board to bring the total up to 640k. The 8088 processor in your 5160 can directly access 1 megabyte, however the space above 640k is set aside for bios and option roms. To add more ram, you will need an "expanded" memory adapter along with the proper driver software. Unfortunately, your Quadram board wont do that. You need something like an Intel Above Board adapter.

Blog Entries

Put a different way: Your system has 640K and is already maxed out on RAM; you can't add any more. There are extended/expanded/UMB RAM options, but if you don't already know about them, you don't need them.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Very helpful , thanks to everybody. Iím not to sure now what to do with this card ?? I can keep for future or sale on eBay, but if I want to sell on eBay I have to test it ! Can I ? What about if I change the dip switch setting on motherboard to zero RAM on board and then 384 k on my card ? I donít want to ruin my working system just doing stupid thinks. One more idea coming can I set the quadram to 0 ram and then I can use the card for the rest of his facility , clock , game port , etc . Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by dan102010 View Post
    Iím not to sure now what to do with this card ?? I can keep for future or sale on eBay, but if I want to sell on eBay I have to test it ! Can I ? What about if I change the dip switch setting on motherboard to zero RAM on board and then 384 k on my card ? I donít want to ruin my working system just doing stupid thinks.
    Per [here], there is no setting of the IBM 5160's motherboard switches for zero RAM.

But there is something else you can do. Your motherboard has 640 KB of RAM fitted, and so it must be the 256-640KB type of motherboard, e.g. banks 0 and 1 are each 256 KB sized, and banks 2 and 3 are each 64 KB sized. So, as an example, you could set the motherboard's switches to enable only bank 0, then set the Quadboard's switches to start the Quadboard's RAM at address 256K:

Addresses 0 to 256K: Provided by motherboard bank 0
    Addresses 256K to 640: Provided by 384 KB of RAM on Quadboard (Quadboard configured to start its RAM at address 256K)

You would still expect your 5160 to count up to 640K of RAM at power-on. The RAM check done by the 5160's power-on self test is crude, and so you should then run some software to properly test the RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by dan102010 View Post
    One more idea coming can I set the quadram to 0 ram and then I can use the card for the rest of his facility , clock , game port , etc . Thanks again
    Find the user manual for your particular card. The manual will reveal if all of the card's RAM can be disabled, and if it can be disabled, how to disable it.

For example, in the manual at [here], which applies to a particular model of Quadboard, page 13 shows an 'enable/disable Quadboard memory' switch.