Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ad Lib music archive: Complete, accurate DOS video game soundtracks

Default Ad Lib music archive: Complete, accurate DOS video game soundtracks

Hello, all.

I use custom hardware (the "Adlib-DigiSnap") to make accurate recordings of DOS game soundtracks, which are then added to my website, the Ad Lib music archive.

Today, after a long hiatus, 18 [!] new soundtracks were added:

4D Boxing
    Captain Dynamo
    Chip's Challenge
    Commander Keen 4: Secret of the Oracle
    Elf
    Gods
    Golden Axe
    Home Alone
    Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
    KGB
    Princess Maker 2
    Risky Woods
    Sango Fighter
    Speed Racer in The Challenge of Racer X
    Street Fighter II
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo
    Test Drive III: The Passion
    The First Samurai

If you love the YM3812 chip as much as I do, this should be pretty nifty for you. I hope y'all enjoy it.
    Whenever new sets are added, I'll share updates.

Have fun!
    Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

I've always liked the AdLib sound and often prefer the Adlib version of a soundtrack to, say, the MT-32 (MIDI) version. Stephane Piq's Adlib / SB Music for Cryo's 'Dune' and 'Lost Eden' were great examples of this.

I followed your link and found a single page with no way off it to anywhere else, so do I take it that these 18 tracks are the first of more to follow?

Secondly, I'd like to suggest that if possible, you put an MP3 player on the page so that visitors can sample the tracks in-browser without necessarily having to download them to hear them.

Check out the music in Dune, if you haven't already. My favorite AdLib tunes, I think.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Mentioned in #2 above, 'Dune' Also mentioned above, 'Lost Eden', same software producer, same Adlib composer as Dune.

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
    I've always liked the AdLib sound and often prefer the Adlib version of a soundtrack to, say, the MT-32 (MIDI) version.
    Same here. There are only rare exceptions where I prefer the MT-32 sound over Ad Lib, such as Leisure Suit Larry III.

Stephane Piq's Adlib / SB Music for Cryo's 'Dune' and 'Lost Eden' were great examples of this.
    He's one of the masters. Parts of "Kursk," from his excellent KGB score, are frequently stuck in my head. Which is awesome.

I take it that these 18 tracks are the first of more to follow?
    That's the plan. However as the process is extremely tedious and time-consuming -- added to which I rarely have proper time to devote to this beloved hobby -- you'll perhaps understand that there'll be sizeable gaps in-between updates. Those 18 sets I just added were a long time in the making, I can assure you.

Suggestion: Use relative URL paths on the site, so browsers that don't support the encraption methods of the day aren't forced to HTTPS urls.

That's the plan. However the process is extremely tedious and time-consuming.
    You could try 'crowdsourcing' recordings of other Adlib soundtracks to add to the site. I would assume that they would have to have been recorded from real Adlib hardware rather than from emulation by DOSBOX, which, while miraculous in its scope, does not always reproduce Adlib or MT-32 sound output 100% accurately.

Blog Entries

Fully approve of this project! My only comment is that 4-D Boxing sounds better with a Sound Blaster, since it uses the digital channel for digidrums.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Suggestion: Use relative URL paths on the site, so browsers that don't support the encraption methods of the day aren't forced to HTTPS urls.
    Yeah, maybe. After 20+ years of strict browser compatibility testing with my simple-yet-elegant HTML designs, the thing that finally breaks support for the likes of Netscape and (Windows) Safari is HTTPS. Uff da.

You could try 'crowdsourcing' recordings of other Adlib soundtracks to add to the site.
    Does anyone else out there actually own an Adlib-DigiSnap?

I would assume that they would have to have been recorded from real Adlib hardware rather than from emulation by DOSBOX
    Correct. I'm a proud purist.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Fully approve of this project! My only comment is that 4-D Boxing sounds better with a Sound Blaster, since it uses the digital channel for digidrums.
    Right on, and yeah, it's a similar case with "Fire & Ice" (one of the many games I have on my to-do list): With a Sound Blaster you get a barking dog accompanying the title theme, whereas with Ad Lib you get... something like a synth grunt. But at least they tried.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathAdderSF View Post
    Does anyone else out there actually own an Adlib-DigiSnap?
    Probably not, since you make them sound so exclusive, so perhaps you'd like to explain the difference between one of those and a genuine but otherwise common or garden Adlib sound card?