Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD Drive rejecting burned disks

Default CD Drive rejecting burned disks

Anyone have any ideas on why this would occur?

I've got this beast

Reads stamped factory CDs just fine. original windows 95 disc works. original game discs work.

Refuses to read any burned CDs, even ones I put at the correct burning speed for the drive. Anyone know why this particular drive doesn't like burned CDs? I have a single drive SCSI teac from about the same time (caddy loading) and it does not have this problem iirc.

The system i'm using this in is an IBM PS/2 9595/A, Buslogic BT646 SCSI controller.
    Looking For:
    IBM PS/2 8595 Motherboard
    MCA sound card (will pay big bucks)
    IBM PC Server 720/others

what brand of media are you using? 95% of what you can buy today is literal trash

Could be the media or could be the laser getting on in years and starting to fail. Could even be both.

The RF signal level from the burnt disc is always lower than the that of a pressed disc and if the laser is failing its possible the levels are below what the drive can cope with. You might be able to tweek the laser pot a bit to increase the level but to be honest its probably easier just to use a different drive. If you decide to try and adjust it do so in small increments and make note of the previous position. Ideally you'd want to hook up a scope to the RF test pad and take a look at the levels. BTW it is very possible to push the laser to the point that it'll read burnt discs but then not read pressed. Also note that in pushing the laser you'll be shortening its life span further.

Blog Entries

Even non-trash CDs, sometimes. I had a drive that would reject Mitsui Gold CD-Rs. Try a different brand.

True, I am using garbage no-brand "Windata" dics. I'll buy a spindle of something else.
    Looking For:
    IBM PS/2 8595 Motherboard
    MCA sound card (will pay big bucks)
    IBM PC Server 720/others

Quote Originally Posted by Culbrelai View Post
    Anyone have any ideas on why this would occur?

I've got this beast

Reads stamped factory CDs just fine. original windows 95 disc works. original game discs work.

Refuses to read any burned CDs, even ones I put at the correct burning speed for the drive. Anyone know why this particular drive doesn't like burned CDs? I have a single drive SCSI teac from about the same time (caddy loading) and it does not have this problem iirc.

The system i'm using this in is an IBM PS/2 9595/A, Buslogic BT646 SCSI controller.

Cool drive, but some of those early drives believe it or not just are not able to read burned media. You can try different brands... following to see if you get any to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Culbrelai View Post
    PS/2s hate live CDs. If you are burning a CD, burn it as a CD. It might not be the hardware that hates it, but NT 4 sure does.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/misc/CD_Burning.html

It depends on the combination of drive, media and burning speed.
    Generally, try to burn the disc as slow as possible to use on a slow reader.
    Not all drives can read multi-session discs, so always finalize.

I've had a drive which rejected "blue" CD-Rs, but happily read "gold" ones.
    And my Panasonic CR-562 rejects all burned discs I tried, similar to yours.

I've never had a drive reject an authentic Taiyo-Yuden disc burned on my Pioneer at 8x. And I've worked with all kinds of heinous drives over the years.

Hey, I had one of these devices, no wait, a similar one, with 6 or 8 disks made by Nakamichi (what a name right!!, well in the cassette world). It has a dedicated SCSI controller like yours.

When anyway had the same issue. It's to do with the reflective nature of the burnt vs pressed disc.

Never did get it working with burnt discs, however isnt there some urban folklaw like you can coat the top surface of your burnt disk with something, or if the mechanism allows put 2 disks into one drive (at your own risk).