Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seagate MFM drive model numbers and differences ?

Default Seagate MFM drive model numbers and differences ?

Hey everyone, I'm curious to learn more about Seagate MFM drive part number variations ... the usual suspects, ST225, etc.

I've seen a random few drives with "MLC" following the model number, ex: "ST-251 MLC-1" What is the meaning of MLC-1?

I've also seen some part numbers like "ST-251 -1". Same curiosity... what does -1 specify?

Of course the "R" versions are RLL rated drives. How about the "AT" drives? Is the logic board any different or are they the same as the regular models?

These are fascinating drives, and I'm finding that many of them still work quite well.

Thanks to anyone who might have insights on the model number variations!

RLL drives have a little more band width than non-RLL otherwise the are the same. The - numbers are usually newer revisions.
    AT drives have the controller built in and would be connected directly to the data buss.
    The main differences to the drives are things like stepping speed(some have auto-stepping), number of head, number of sectors and sometimes rotational speeds.
    Dwight

My memory is a bit vauge but as I recall:
    R at the end indicates and RLL drive, N at the end indicates SCSI, A at the end indicates IDE. I think sometimes the SCSI and IDE would be the same hardware assembly with different logic boards.

I think -1 or MLC-1 at the end indicates a Seagate "refurbished" unit. I seem to recall these would usually have longer track defect lists.

Then there are A/X drives which can be connected to either AT (16-bit) or XT (8-bit) IDE ports. One drive that I know of is only 8-bit IDE, which is the ST325X.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I think -1 or MLC-1 at the end indicates a Seagate "refurbished" unit. I seem to recall these would usually have longer track defect lists.
    No, MLC stands for Manufacturing Line Code - or something like that. The ST-251 for example has the same stepper as the ST-225, but the ST-251-1 (or ST-251 MLC-1) is fitted with a low-impedance stepper that drops average seek times from around 65 to around 20.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    No, MLC stands for Manufacturing Line Code - or something like that. The ST-251 for example has the same stepper as the ST-225, but the ST-251-1 (or ST-251 MLC-1) is fitted with a low-impedance stepper that drops average seek times from around 65 to around 20.
    Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. Really, I was wondering if the circuit board from an MLC-1 would be the same ... I found a possible donor board for an st251, but it is on an MLC-1 model. Do you know if the circuit board is different to drive the different stepper motor?

I have a few different models of these drives, I understand RLL/mfm drive metrics well, just needed some clarification of the differences like "mlc" and "-1". Thanks for the excellent answer maxtherabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    Then there are A/X drives which can be connected to either AT (16-bit) or XT (8-bit) IDE ports. One drive that I know of is only 8-bit IDE, which is the ST325X.
    Yes, I believe you are correct for the early 3.5" IDE models. I have a working A/X drive in a 386.

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    Hmm, OK, so was there a code for "refurbished" unit?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Hmm, OK, so was there a code for "refurbished" unit?
    I'm not sure, I only learned about the 'MLC' like last week

Part of the story: