Image Map Image Map

Thread: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED

My box says only compatible with lga1366. Website says lga2011/2066 compatible. Who should I believe?

The Hyper 212 literally works with every CPU socket dating back to LGA775 for Intel and Socket 754 for AMD. The only compatibility issue is that you'll need the correct brackets, as there are at least two, one for Intel parts and the other for AMD parts.

The bracket for Intel CPUs is an X clamp with screw standoffs, nuts and a retention plate for the motherboard. AMD CPUs generally use the two hook system where a retention bar with loops and a lever is used to hold the cooler down, though there are bolt down variants as well.

I have six 212s of various models. I have one of the original 212s, a few of the plus and a few of the evo variant. The evo is probably the best because they refined the cold plate and heatpipe area to be completely flat and allow better heat transfer. Earlier models had some issues where the heatpipes were higher or lower than the rest of the cold plate and caused thermal transfer issues, which required lapping the cold plate to make it completely flat.

I have a Master Air MA410P iirc that has the x clamp. My hyper 212 led doesn't. It"s as I suspected, they sent me a really old model. I can use it with an lga1151 board, but it took me a while to get it assembled right, didn't really want to pull it all apart.

Correction. It doesn't have an assembled x clamp. There seems there's the possibility of 2. But they're different. And. I'm not sure I see how they can be assembled.
    Last edited by tipc; May 21st, 2020 at 07:31 AM.

Blog Entries

I think you need a different bracket to use them on AM4 systems, no idea about the 2011/2066 socket.

I have a few models of the Hyper 212 but only use them on AMD systems.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

What I do find particularly gratifying is these coolers can actually be mounted in an el cheapo case. 3 christmas' ago I bought a Raidmax vortex atx mid tower, delightfully lite, 12.09$ after rebate. I had said no way, not going to work. But it fits due to the "bulged" side panel. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to put something in that case in the worst way and utilize these coolers. I also have a small corsair water cooler. For emergencies I guess.

Incidentally if anyone cares I can confirm that , so far, am not able to boot anything yet, this Supermicro c7z170-oce-f likes gskill aegis 2133mhz ddr4 sticks, 4gb in mine.