Image Map Image Map

Thread: Confusing Ebay auction

Question Confusing Ebay auction

Can someone explain this auction to me?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Eve...U/353073570841

Its just a 486 upgrade chip, I know they aren't common but $1200+ for 1?? Are they worth that or did this just turn into a bidding war?

I saw this posted either on here or vogons. I'm guessing bidding war too. I don't get the fascination with upgrade chips. Yes they *are* interesting, but $1,200, really? I guess some see them as the ultimate 486, I see them as slow Pentiums.

Blog Entries

The chip Cyrix 5x86-133 was never released except for a few sold to evergreen for these upgrades. Fastest socket 3 chip made, very rare.

I have the common 100GP here on my desk and the 120GP (I think) in one of my old 486 machines.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    The chip Cyrix 5x86-133 was never released except for a few sold to evergreen for these upgrades. Fastest socket 3 chip made, very rare.

I have the common 100GP here on my desk and the 120GP (I think) in one of my old 486 machines.
    Man,

Talk about return on investment. I have one of those NIB that I got for about $80 five years ago. Seeing crazy prices like this almost makes me want to sell most of my stuff..... Almost....
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Most Evergreen 486 overdrives were common surface mount AMD 486/133's.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems