Image Map Image Map

Thread: First Basic

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default First Basic

This may actually be a different product then Hisoft Basic. Anyone know? Please at least tell me it's a compiler. I just ordered it from the UK, and there's more.

Hello,

Looking on the web, it's not clear. It would have been a help if you'd linked to the actual listing that you purchased from.

However, the product FirST BASIC does appear to be a HiSoft product, and I assume that this is version 1.? of their package, There was a later edition, which was 2.?, and this seemed to use the name HiSoft BASIC.

HiSoft produced a range of language compilers and I bought a number of their products for CP/M, and their packages were usually very good, including the manuals. I was not aware of them doing a BASIC, but my interest was regarding C and suchlike, and I was using an Amstrad PCW, and there were various BASIC languages available already, so maybe there was no need for another BASIC in that market.

I understand that version 2 of the BASIC was heavily based on Microsoft Quick Basic, and HiSoft may have substantially re-engineered an OEM version of that product to add various 'extras' for the ST, incl access to GEM. To what extent these things relate to version 1 as well I cannot tell.

However, I do have the PC version of QB, although a slightly later version) and this system is certainly a compiler, as an option. You can create your prog within the environment, and run it within involving a semi compile. Or you can fully compile to an .EXE which requires a BRUN module, or you can compile to a fully free-standing .EXE - again, it's not clear if these facilities were in FirST BASIC as well.

I'll dig some more if needed.

Geoff
    Vintage Devices: Epson HX-20/TF-20, Amstrad PCW 8256 (with extras), 386 and 486 PCs with 5.25 and 3.5 floppy drives, Pentium 75 with Roland LAPC-I midi card

Hello,

Thanks for the extra note. Yes, this ebay advert was one I found when looking earlier.

You might be interested in this review:

https://www.atarimagazines.com/analo...soft_basic.php

This confirms the connection to QB3. By the way, I have the full package incl manuals for QB4, then I got an upgrade (disks only) to 4.5, but the review says there are differences in the commands supported. The review also complains about the manual, but they are talking about a US supplied version, if your version is UK then the manual may be better.

Anyway, this is certainly the compiler, and could be the later (but still the same year ?) 2.1 version. No indication that the messing with the name (between FirST BASIC and HiSoft BASIC) counds for anything.

You'll know better about this when you get the package. See how things stand then.

Geoff
    Vintage Devices: Epson HX-20/TF-20, Amstrad PCW 8256 (with extras), 386 and 486 PCs with 5.25 and 3.5 floppy drives, Pentium 75 with Roland LAPC-I midi card

Yep read that. Which primarily is the reason I asked the question. It's a waiting game now. Too bad I had to spend twice as much for postage as zi did for the item.