Image Map Image Map

Thread: DEC HiNote Ultra 2000 - Can't Enter Setup

Default DEC HiNote Ultra 2000 - Can't Enter Setup

All,

Somehow, in the process of trying to get my DEC HiNote Ultra 2000 to boot from either it's existing CD-ROM, or to replace it with a different drive, I have made my machine refuse to go into setup. Setup entry requires pressing of Fn+F3, during boot, and I'm starting to suspect that the Fn key isn't registering.

I've cleaned the keyboard flat-flex connectors, with both isopropyl and with contact cleaner, to no avail. The flat-flex cable is folded over, but doesn't appear to be broken. I've tried to use an external PS/2 keyboard, with an Fn key, but the behaviour is the same. This makes me think that the cable isn't at fault.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

- Alex

I actually have a spare keyboard from one of my parts machines if you want to try that. Might be a couple weeks before I can get to it though

That’d be darned handy. Do you have a spare floppy drive, by any chance? I could definitely use that.

Also, have you managed to get yours to boot from any PCMCIA devices? I haven’t, so far.

Thanks!
    - Alex

Do you need the floppy drive itself or the caddy? I have several untested drives that should fit and a caddy from my parts machine that's not in the best shape but should probably be functional. Haven't tried any pcmcia devices yet. It might be a week or two before I can get to them though

I could use both, but the floppy drive itself is a commodity part, so I can source one, myself, if necessary.

Many thanks!
    - Alex

Ok, it'll be a little while but I'll PM you when I dig the stuff out and see what all I have. Did you need any other parts for it? I have nearly 2 complete parts machines

Many thanks!

I could also use a dock, if you have one.

Have you ever managed to get the machine to boot from PCMCIA?

Thanks!
    - Alex

So, I've picked up a cheap keyboard, on eBay, and it seems to be slightly better, but still not 100%, even though it seems like it was never used, given the lack of any kink in the flat flex cable. The keyboard arrived slightly but it works, except for the following keys:

END,~,\,s,d,v,b,.,/,WIN

I tried spraying deoxit on the cable, the connector on the motherboard, and on the keys, themselves, but there was no improvement. I can't, so far figure how to get the metal backing plate off of the keyboard, so that I can check the traces for the damage that I suspect is there.

So close!
    - Alex

I'll get to my stuff for that machine this week, just been away

Cool, I definitely appreciate it.

I've run into an interesting situation where anytime I try to replace the internal 4GB HDD with either an mSATA->IDE adapter, or an IDE->SD adapter, the machine hangs while booting from the CDROM. Interestingly, the CD boots fine, when the original drive is installed.

I'd love to try a drive overlay, to try to work around this, but I don't have a floppy drive (yet!). Have any of y'all tried to replace the internal drive on your machines with an SSD/flash device?

Thanks!
    - Alex