Image Map Image Map

Thread: DEC HiNote Ultra 2000 - Can't Enter Setup

Default DEC HiNote Ultra 2000 - Can't Enter Setup

All,

Somehow, in the process of trying to get my DEC HiNote Ultra 2000 to boot from either it's existing CD-ROM, or to replace it with a different drive, I have made my machine refuse to go into setup. Setup entry requires pressing of Fn+F3, during boot, and I'm starting to suspect that the Fn key isn't registering.

I've cleaned the keyboard flat-flex connectors, with both isopropyl and with contact cleaner, to no avail. The flat-flex cable is folded over, but doesn't appear to be broken. I've tried to use an external PS/2 keyboard, with an Fn key, but the behaviour is the same. This makes me think that the cable isn't at fault.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

- Alex

I actually have a spare keyboard from one of my parts machines if you want to try that. Might be a couple weeks before I can get to it though

That’d be darned handy. Do you have a spare floppy drive, by any chance? I could definitely use that.

Also, have you managed to get yours to boot from any PCMCIA devices? I haven’t, so far.

Thanks!
    - Alex

Do you need the floppy drive itself or the caddy? I have several untested drives that should fit and a caddy from my parts machine that's not in the best shape but should probably be functional. Haven't tried any pcmcia devices yet. It might be a week or two before I can get to them though

I could use both, but the floppy drive itself is a commodity part, so I can source one, myself, if necessary.

Many thanks!
    - Alex

Ok, it'll be a little while but I'll PM you when I dig the stuff out and see what all I have. Did you need any other parts for it? I have nearly 2 complete parts machines

Many thanks!

I could also use a dock, if you have one.

Have you ever managed to get the machine to boot from PCMCIA?

Thanks!
    - Alex