Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pet Rescue

My 6540 adapter boards appear to have the same configuration as Mike. They have gone straight onto the board and worked without any mods.

Andy

Wow, yeah, NOT what i got.. I ordered 10, and they are all of a different design..

So here is the two versions side by side.. mine have Copyright date of 2012 on them, maybe old stock?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Boy, I don't know what you've got there but it sure doesn't match my DIP '138 version of the 6540>27xxx adapter; mine are the same as the SMT version except pins 3 and 1 are swapped and pin 9 is the select output instead of pin 12:

2 > 5
    3 > 4
    4 > 1
    16 > 6
    17 > 3
    27 > 2
    yep, swapping pins 1/3 would result in Y6 being L instead of Y3 , so that is valid as well.

im going to have to look at it and see what i can do to salvage these, since the pet doesn't use have the CS lines anyways accept the /CS4 , /CS3 and CS1 , i could also omit CS1 & /CS3 if i tie an address pin to BA11. and then stack a complete 32K and get full 32k block on one chip, so would only need 4 eeproms ( C000-CFFF ), ( D0000-DFFF ) , and ( F000-FFFF), i would still need to wire /CS3 and CS1 for E000-E7FFF , as e800-efff is mapped to IO space.

or can just wait for romulator to show up.

i will just toss these in the bin , not sure what good they are

or can just build my own rom replacement pcb ( i have blanks for another project ) .

Yup, that was my suggestion; forget the resistors & '138, add a couple of jumpers and use 3 x 32K EPROMs; just make sure you put them in the right socket. No issue with the E ROM, just use a 2716 which will ignore the upper half of $Exxx.

Hope Jim sees this thread and comments.

Mike, Yep, I just finished up mocking the pinout, and wiring up these pcb(s), way easier to just ditch the 138 and resisters, here was the layout.

This basically put the adapter at the high address.. ( using CS1 instead of /CS3 for bank select )

Construction of the adapter(s).

I re-used the one i already had with the LS138 as the E000-E7FF bank.

After being installed and booted up:

Success! now i can use my SD2PET.

Since, i only really bring this out to events for people to play, really don't need the romulator now, ( which hasn't arrived ) , but will keep until the day my ram dies

There ya go! Very nice!

Still hope to hear from Jim about those odd adapters; might email him directly.

I emailed him, and i made a comment on his website, I have not heard anything, i even included the link to this post.

Quote Originally Posted by ki4swy View Post
    I emailed him, and i made a comment on his website, I have not heard anything, i even included the link to this post.
    ^ it appears my email was stuck in draft, so he actually never got my email until about an hour ago, and QUICKLY responded., and my web comment was stuck in his junk mail lol.. He just sent me an email.

Well, this is a mess. My apologies to ki4swy for the extra work I caused.

Back in 2011 or 2012, I designed the 6540 Adapter after seeing a related idea online that used diodes instead of proper logic. Having designed the 23XX Adapter using the awesome "macrocell-ish" '138, I brought that over to the 6540 Adapter. The first version used an SMT part and I think I sold some of those, but I quickly (in 2012) decided moving to a through hole design would help me (I think I was soldering them up by hand at the time, and the SMT version was tougher for the PCB-only buyer). I quickly redid the design, moving pins around to fit the TH design, breaking the design in the process. I ordered a batch of complete units (no more soldering here) and I must have also ordered a bag of PCBs.

When they arrived, I sent a few out, and they were a disaster. I got the report back, looked at the design, realized my mistakes, corrected, and ran a new batch of PCBs and full units. I dumped the bag of bad units at a long ago VCF-Midwest show in the free table, with the caution they needed to be fixed. But, it appears I did not pitch the bag of bad PCBs.

A few weeks ago I was cleaning the stock shelves, and I noticed I had two bags of 6540 PCBs. I re-order from time to time, and I thought I had to just prematrely re-ordered the PCBs, so I merged the two bags. Evidently, that was the old design.

I just sorted and pitched all of the bad design, and I'm checking my order list to see who else might have the wrong boards. I merged the bags pretty recently, and it's only the bare PCBs that are affected, the full units are correct.

For reference, here are the two different through hole designs (the SMT design is correct, but I don't sell it anymore):

Both are (c) 2012, but the correct design is the v2.0 design (bottom).

My apologies for the mistake. It's like an error from 8 years ago suddenly coming back from the dead.

I'll send out new PCBs to anyone affected. The easy check is the PCB run number on the left side, or the fact that the resistors were moved to the bottom side of the PCB.

Jim