Image Map Image Map

Thread: Miniscribe 8425 doesn't turn on

Default Miniscribe 8425 doesn't turn on

I have got this card within another 5150 PC but it doesn't power up, or to be more exact, doesn't start to spin. When powering up, there's no sounds coming out and there's only the red led blinking constantly in specific pattern loop (rapid blinks, rapid blinks, longer blink). Is there anything I could fix it? I also tested different power sources and computers.

photo_2020-05-23_02-13-00.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by musicforlife View Post
    ... and there's only the red led blinking constantly in specific pattern loop (rapid blinks, rapid blinks, longer blink).
    That sounds like one of the error codes that some Miniscribe hard drives display.

At [here] is a manual for the Miniscribe 8425. Chapter 10 of that manual (within, search for "10.2MESSAGE READOUT") describes how to translate the LED flashes to an error code, and lists a crude meaning for each error code.

I suspect that the error code you see, will be between 0 and 4 (inclusive). For example, maybe if there is a RAM error, the drive displays error 0 in a loop, never going further to the point of commanding a start of the spindle motor.

Quote Originally Posted by musicforlife View Post
    Is there anything I could fix it?
    Using the pointed-to information, what is the error code ?

If you can upload a video with the LED blinking code we can help you, as modem7 says. Attending to your written blinking may be:
    Code 2 - Interface chip diagnostic failure
    Code 3 - Write Fault latch will not reset

The first thing I always do is to dissasemble PCB and try to help spinning motor to rotate, because if your drive was stopped several years, motor can be stucked. (this is not te best option, but I recover many miniscribe's with this). The last one I've repaired has the same sympthoms like yours, but in this case there is a resistor near 6 pin spindle motor conector that was completely broken. I've changed it and drive return to life.

Regards,