Image Map Image Map

Thread: fluxengine and 8" drives

Default fluxengine and 8" drives

anyone use a FluxEngine with 8" drives (SA800 or 850)?

i have the fd50to34 board. i'm wondering how head loading is handled and such.

thanks!

I haven't tried it, yet. But I do have a fluxengine that I need to build.

I've been monitoring development, for some time.

- Alex

I have it working now with an SA-850 and NF6X's drive cable adapter board. Reads fine, but I haven't yet tried to boot the file. I'll post additional info down the line.

Has anyone written up a list of Radio Shack diskette formats (track/sector info) for both the 5 1/4" and 8" operating systems--wondering if someone might point me to a link if there is one. I had this once, but evidently no longer.

fluxengine-SA850-IMG_3905.jpg

I believe the FluxEngine author said he was not developing this anymore instead was helping with Greaseweazle? Just FYI

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    I believe the FluxEngine author said he was not developing this anymore instead was helping with Greaseweazle? Just FYI
    maybe... i've been in contact with him and he hasn't mentioned dropping FluxEngine... thanks!

Blog Entries

I'm using a FluxEngine with a Tandon TM848-2E drive and a FDADAP board, which makes the 8 inch drive look just like a regular 5.25 inch drive. Works well.

As for dropping FluxEngine development - I don't think so, the github repo was last updated 6 days ago https://github.com/davidgiven/fluxengine

I like both the Greaseweazle and the FluxEngine; right now I find that the FluxEngine software a bit easier to use when I'm dealing with floppies where the format is unknown - you get an image right away which I can run other tools on to figure out if the data makes sense. With the Greaseweazle, I first have to convert the dump into a data image before I can do anything more with it.
    Last edited by tingo; May 29th, 2020 at 03:30 AM. Reason: fixed spelling mistakes
    Torfinn

Quote Originally Posted by tingo View Post
    I'm using a FluxEngine with a Tandon TM848-2E drive and a FDADAP board, which makes the 8 inch drive look just like a regular 5.25 inch drive. Works well.

As for dropping FluxEngine development - I don't think so, the github repo was last updated 6 days ago https://github.com/davidgiven/fluxengine

I like both the Greaseweazle and the FluxEngine; right now I find that the FluxEngine software a bit easier to use when I'm dealing with floppies where the format is unknown - you get an image right away which I can run other tools on to figure out if the data makes sense. With the Greaseweazle, I first have to convert the dump into a data image before I can do anything more with it.
    hi tingo. what other software tools are you using?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    hi tingo. what other software tools are you using?
    That would depend on the disks I'm trying to make images out of. For ms-dos formatted floppies, I use mtools, for CP/M formatted cpmtools, and for ND (Norsk Data) floppies I use ndfs (aka ndfs-tool). The first thing I will try on an unknown image, is to run 'file' on it. If that doesn't reveal anything (it just says "data"), next up is hd (hexdump). You can dig this hole as deep as you want
    Torfinn

Quote Originally Posted by tingo View Post
    That would depend on the disks I'm trying to make images out of. For ms-dos formatted floppies, I use mtools, for CP/M formatted cpmtools, and for ND (Norsk Data) floppies I use ndfs (aka ndfs-tool). The first thing I will try on an unknown image, is to run 'file' on it. If that doesn't reveal anything (it just says "data"), next up is hd (hexdump). You can dig this hole as deep as you want
    thanks for the info. rabbit holes can be deep!