Image Map Image Map

Thread: WTB: 16-bit ISA IDE Controller (or Multi-IO card) with jumperable IDE I/O port.

Default WTB: 16-bit ISA IDE Controller (or Multi-IO card) with jumperable IDE I/O port.

I'll try here before I go to ebay, heh. Located near Franklin, WV (45 minutes from Harrisonburg, VA).

I need a 16-bit ISA IDE (or multi-IO) controller that will allow me to change the IDE I/O port to something other than 0x170 or 0x1F0.

It also would be nice if it were somewhat low-profile, so I can take the bracket off (and desolder whatever parallel/serial connector might be on it) and use it in a low-profile internal slot with no bracket opening on the back. I do still have a spare full-height slot with a bracket opening left, but I'd rather save it for something else if possible.

The situation is, I have a 486 with a nonstandard BIOS that doesn't let me disable the internal IDE controller. I'm running an XTIDE option ROM on a network card to allow me to use a 40Gb LBA PATA disk drive (the built-in BIOS only supports CHS mode), but to do that I have to set the drive to "not installed" in the built-in BIOS. But then it nags me about detecting a "new" drive every time I boot, and I can't turn that off. So my solution is to just not use the built-in controller at all, and in order to do that I'll have to use an expansion card that doesn't conflict, since I can't disable the internal interface. What a pain! Haha.

Thanks, guys.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

I'm not sure if any of mine would work, and I can't check until Tuesday, but I have at least 3 ISA IDE controllers I'm trying to sell. I'll check them out ASAP if you'd like. One of them SHOULD do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by EPOHouston View Post
    I'm not sure if any of mine would work, and I can't check until Tuesday, but I have at least 3 ISA IDE controllers I'm trying to sell. I'll check them out ASAP if you'd like. One of them SHOULD do the job.
    Sounds good, man. Thanks!!!

Don't go to any special trouble or rush on my account though! I have plenty of other projects to work on in the meantime if you can't get 'round to it for a few days, heh.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX