Image Map Image Map

Thread: Heya

Default Heya

Figured I'd say hello!

Hi, im new! I was brought here by my love of computers - can't say I had much experience with < 90's computers, but I am interested in them all the same. I especially dig their aesthetic! I'd love to have my own collection one day too.

I am a gamedev (tech art and game design) by trade, and I enjoy making stuff. Used to work with Escape Games in the past, so I'm pretty handy. I love making props and the like.

So yeah...that's that for now! Hi!

Hello and welcome! With a background in art and design I'd say find something close by that isn't too much and start with a cosmetic rebuild kinda like the 8 Bit Guy, I really enjoy watching his restoration videos. Maybe you could even mold case pieces and accessories. I always have trouble making things in my collection look new again, I get a lot more enjoyment from the electrical restoration personally.

Quote Originally Posted by KD2IXL View Post
    Hello and welcome! With a background in art and design I'd say find something close by that isn't too much and start with a cosmetic rebuild kinda like the 8 Bit Guy, I really enjoy watching his restoration videos. Maybe you could even mold case pieces and accessories. I always have trouble making things in my collection look new again, I get a lot more enjoyment from the electrical restoration personally.
    Haha, I read you there! Actually I am trying to make an XT replica for a sleeper build in my other thread over here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...l-measurments/

But yes, restoring vintage computers would be amazing - maybe in the future once I have a bit more space and money for the hobby! Finding old computers is a bit hard for me where I'm at right now, but hopefully that will change. For now I'll just have to settle with what I can get my hands on.

I feel that in New Jersey it can be both difficult and competitive to find reasonable listings, I've started looking into Pennsylvania because of this. That IBM Replica is looking really nice I am very impressed with it. I have always had difficulty when it came to CAD programs. I prefer hand drafting. That's what I usually do when designing woodworking projects!

Whatever gets the job done I say! I use both methods, depends on what is needed. Sadly can't do hand drawing for 3d printers haha! But 3D isn't that hard to do once you get your head around the process. As with all things, practice makes better.

One day I'll probably bite the bullet and just get someone from the US to send me a package of old IBM stuff from the US. That or I'll buy some and take it with me next time I visit. You guys have a decent amount of new old stock and used listings, in Europe I saw maybe a few in total, and for super unreasonable prices too (600-700 USD+).

Quote Originally Posted by Inu11 View Post
    You guys have a decent amount of new old stock and used listings, in Europe I saw maybe a few in total, and for super unreasonable prices too (600-700 USD+).
    I am very surprised at that, IBM was a global company. PCs were sold in Western Europe, but I can't seem to find much metrics on it to confirm exact numbers. I'm going to guess that you are in Eastern Europe where the clone market was more prevalent? I can imagine that the few that trickle over are both difficult to find and in the wrong Locale when they do. speaking of the wrong Locale, my dad told me a story when he worked for Dow Jones about how he had to troubleshoot a minicomputer in a Japanese bank where UNIX would boot up in Japanese. He had to find somebody who read the language to translate it for him so he could provide tech support!

Yep, Eastern Europe right now. I traveled a lot for my work, and moved a lot in the last few years. I hope to settle down for good soon so I can properly start collecting some stuff. But no mater where, even when I was in Western Europe, they are stupid hard to find. I am guessing a lot of them ended up being recycled or trashed. Looking at the UK ebay listings right now, there is only one XT available for 500. It's crazy.

Oh and wow haha, that must have been interesting! In the past things took way longer to solve - simply because you couldn't just go online and search for a solution, or even ask for help on a forum. These days you could just whip out your phone and auto google translate it. Just goes to show how far we've come.