Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Rare Systems: A question of modification

Default For Rare Systems: A question of modification

If any of you own rare systems, do you, or have you ever, modified the plastic casing to fit components that would bring the system back to full operation, even if it is a permanent modification?

I ask only because I have a confirmed working screen that might fit in a rare luggable Toshiba system, but the screen's frame is slightly too big, the obstructions on the computer casing are just two fins of plastic, and the screen that regularly goes in there is extremely expensive.

I would do that mod.

Although I would not, for example, cut a hole for a floppy emulator LCD or other such things.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Blog Entries

Please qualify "rare".

Blog Entries

If the fins are internal structures that impinge on the larger tube, and the tube will make the machine operable again, I'd say it's absolutely fine and worth doing.
    After all, Marc, Mike, Ken and Carl made a considered decision and dug into the epoxy potting on an AGC module in order to fix it and get the computer running - with the permission of its owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Please qualify "rare".
    Try looking on eBay for the Toshiba T3200SXC, and you'll see what I mean. :P

Blog Entries

How many did Toshiba manufacture? I don't rely on eBay as a guide for "rare".

Here's my idea:

Partially cut away the plastic highlighted with the arrow (There are two), with some nippers, to allow the screen to sit inside the casing. The computer's video cable is perfectly compatible with the screen's connector (I've tested it before), and will show an image. The LCD frame's supporting legs are not perfectly in-line with the original, but they're off by only a few millimeters, and I could probably just twist them into position to align them. (or drill holes where I need them to go into the metal backing brackets, in order to make a perfect alignment.)

All I need to do is make a breakout board (or use another of the same type of backlight connector that Toshiba used. They're available from RC Car/Hobby Stores.) that will allow me to connect the backlights to the inverter, and I'm done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T-Squared; May 27th, 2020 at 07:19 PM.

Go for it. I'll promise to keep mine stock.

While at it, could you post the make and model of the replacement display?

It's a Toshiba LTM10C013, which the 6400DXC uses. (Seriously, worst Toshiba computer ever. Almost completely opposite to the 3200SXC.)
    However, I'm curious to know, does your LCD's display look like the attached file, or some variation, IRL? (I'm assuming it's the original LQ10D013.) It's not been corrupted, I assure you. That's just what I remember the LTM looking like when operating.

Also, now that I think of it, my computer isn't exactly mint, mostly from out of my hands before I got it. It's missing the ISA slot door on the left, the power supply mysteriously got damaged, I had to remove the indicator label to get into the lid (and couldn't remove the adhesive), and I had to replace the floppy drive with a regular one (including a 26-to-34-pin adapter with a few wires to set the "DRVREADY" signal always-on and bring back the normal 1.44 MB capacity).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by T-Squared; May 27th, 2020 at 11:36 PM.

No, mine has a completely normal picture without any visible artifacts like that. I can try to take a picture of it. TBH I was surprised at the image quality, I expected worse. There could be more contrast, but other than that it's really good.