Image Map Image Map

Thread: Up to date street map books?

Default Up to date street map books?

I figure if anywhere on the internet would know, it would be around here.

I've been wanting to get an updated mapbook to keep in my car, but I'm having a hard time finding any new ones besides small fold-up maps.

As most people here know, with good old paper you don't have to worry about batteries, malware, vendor updates changing things, features disappearing, proprietary electronic devices that must be replaced every year or two, advertisements, and so on. Paper is perfect for emergencies.

What I am currently using is a Rand McNally Atlanta & Vicinity StreetGuide 10th edition. (2010 I think). It looks like it is around 300-400 pages (map pages do not have page numbers, but it has a 168 page index). It includes maps of Atlanta, Smyrna, Marietta, Austell, Sandy Springs, Roswell, Miltion, Alpharetta, Deluth, Laurenceville, Snellville, Loganville, Buford, Cumming, Ganesville, Newnan, Peachtree City, Douglasville, Fayetteville, Hampton, and Griffin. Ive found it easy to read and use, and it covers most of the places I might happen to go.

But roads change.

The only one even still around that I can find is this one: https://www.aeroatlas.com/pages/mapb...-Map-Book-2019
    I guess this covers about these same area. Of course it is pricey, but what isn't these days?! (This old Rand McNally guide still has a tag that says $29.95)

Any thoughts, recommendations, suggestions, or ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Any thoughts, recommendations, suggestions, or ideas?
    https://kappamapgroup.com/product/ge...-travel-atlas/

Kappa seems to have bought out most of the old regional map producers (including the NYC area Hagstrom). I wouldn't be surprised if these modern books were just printouts of cartography data from TomTom or HERE Maps. I miss the old locally produced hand drawn (!) Hagstrom maps. They had levels of detail and streets that Google, etc. are still missing!

Thanks for pointing that one out, I hadn't seen that one. It sounds like it is a bit smaller than the one I have. At least the specs show the number of pages. Doesn't say how recent it is. An identical looking one on Amazon says 2015.

Sidenote: Ug, yet ANOTHER web site that totally breaks if it is run in a window.