Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6th/7th gen. i3/i5/i7 support ... but not Celeron/Pentium?

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default 6th/7th gen. i3/i5/i7 support ... but not Celeron/Pentium?

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813299001

Can someone explain this to me. I contacted their tech support and was told the same thing. It must be the case, as support for (6th/7th gen) celerons and pentiums isn't there. Is it just a matter of substituting microcode? But that would need to be supplied by the manufacturer anyway, no?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813299001

Can someone explain this to me. I contacted their tech support and was told the same thing. It must be the case, as support for (6th/7th gen) celerons and pentiums isn't there. Is it just a matter of substituting microcode? But that would need to be supplied by the manufacturer anyway, no?
    The Intel LGA 1151 has a pin/pad arrangement. No way that I can see to just drop a Celeron or a Pentium on that mobo without some crazy interposer if that's what you're talking about.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

lga1151 processors come in celeron/pentium/i3/i5/i7 varieties. Most boards will support all of them. It seems awfully unusual that a mining board _not_ support a celeron or pentium, as they're the lowest power chips. I have seen an example of an lga2066 x299 board that didn't support i9s for instance. But the zotac board is truly puzzling.

Blog Entries

The board uses an Intel B150 chipset Skylake 100 series. They claim Intel 6th and 7th gen CPU support which needed a BIOS update for 100 series chipsets to work so maybe they just ran out of ROM room and took out the low end Pentium and Celeron Microcode.

The 200 series has support for Optane memory support and that needs i3/i5/i7 to work. Could be the tech got those 2 confused?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

So could microcode from another manufacturer specific to celerons/pentiums be substituted? And if ao would it be too monstrous a job?

You need special tools and the chances of bricking the board is very high if you don't know what you're doing.

I'd recommending asking here: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    The Intel LGA 1151 has a pin/pad arrangement. No way that I can see to just drop a Celeron or a Pentium on that mobo without some crazy interposer if that's what you're talking about.
    My bad on that one. Pentium/Celeron made me think of way back when. I have AMD on my mind these days.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I gave the newegg link, but they were 30$ shippped on ebay. Now they're 90$!!! Gouging like you never.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    My bad on that one. Pentium/Celeron made me think of way back when. I have AMD on my mind these days.
    Yes the venerable Celeron refuses to die. I was given a 1st gen? Celeron many years ago. It just turned up. I'll trade someone for something that is compatible with this board. I also have 3 socket 478 P4s to trade.

And yes they're still calling some chips Pentiums, a step up from the Celeron, but like modern Celerons they have a alphanumeric suffix. The chip in the Asus I found on the road is a Pentium E5500 (lga775). My bottom of the barrel 7th gen. lga1151 Celeron is a G3930.

I haven't looked at their feedback, but I doubt most people were aware the Zotac mining board isn't true to the atx form factor, as it's about .25" taller. Most mining boards don't go in a tower anyway. Buy there are mining chassis that seem somewhat popular. And a mining board that doesn't support celerons or pentiums??? That's why they had to practically give them away. And now when the stock has dwindled, they want a premium.

Just because it doesn't mention Celerons or Pentiums, it doesn't necessarily mean they won't work. The documentation for motherboards is often poor or incomplete (the manual for this one is little more than a pamphlet). I'm sure tech support was just reading the specifications page to you. I've seen boards that won't work with the higher end CPUs, but never one that didn't work with the lower end ones.