Image Map Image Map

Thread: Ceramic package and gold standard

Default Ceramic package and gold standard

Thinking about it, the move from ceramic (gold) DRAM packaging to plastic happened right as US DRAM was declining in favour of the Japanese. It would be funny if you had to pay for chips in volume using gold, and this gold was used to package the chips. I wonder what the Federal Reserve would say about this kind of gold clause back in the 1960s
    Last edited by yuhong; May 31st, 2020 at 10:15 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm not following. Ceramic-package DRAMs were always somewhat of a problem, particularly at higher densities, due to the ceramic emitting alpha particles. Plastic has no such problem.

Don't bother with this guy, he spams multiple forums with dumb/misleading topics to waste everyone's time.

Of course, DRAM was not the only thing packaged in ceramic. CPUs were often packaged in ceramic for example, and the 8087 FPU was mostly packaged that way I think. I think the cost of ceramic packaging is part of why the plastic DIP 68000 lasted so long. But what I am mostly referring to is the gold standard before 1971 where gold always costs $35 per ounce, and I believe ceramic packaging used gold.
    Last edited by yuhong; June 1st, 2020 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Don't bother with this guy, he spams multiple forums with dumb/misleading topics to waste everyone's time.
    What's the general theory? Bot? Or AI learning program?

Not really sure. Most of the posts I've seen this user make were nonsense, with the occasional coherent post. Could be a normal person that likes to post irrelevant information nobody asked for.