Image Map Image Map

Thread: XTIDE Rev 4.0 with v2.00 B3 BIOS -- Unable to boot from Compaq 286 and P1

Default XTIDE Rev 4.0 with v2.00 B3 BIOS -- Unable to boot from Compaq 286 and P1

Hello all,

I bought an XTIDE Rev 4.0 from an ebay vendor sometime in 2019. I assembled it per the instructions, which looked pretty simple enough. I put it in my P1 166mhz MMX box and saw it showed the boot menu. At this point, I set it aside for many months and forgot about it.

I finally got around to getting a Disk-on-Module 256MB. This is intended for a Compaq 286 to run ACLOCK on a kiosk at work. The P1 is my test machine in my office, because it would be annoying to try and walk back upstairs to goof with getting things setup. The module detects fine in a P1 from the main motherboard. I originally had problems with it detecting the wrong size and fdisk being unable to see it, etc. from the P1 with the XT-IDE. At this point, I was using v1.15. Today I installed XT-IDE v2.00 B3 from https://www.bluelavasystems.com/xt-ide/. I specifically used the ide_xt.bin. I ran the auto-configure options. After a reboot it finally detected the drive properly, however it was unable to boot from it. I thought maybe it needed FDISK /MBR done to it so I tried this and still nothing. I also did a FORMAT C: /Q /S and checked FDISK for active partition, etc.

Even though I was unable to get it to work on the P1, I tried it on the 286 anyways. It will detect the drive properly, but again is unable to boot from it. I ran the DOS 5.00 install floppies and it was able to write to the disk. After a reboot it no longer saw the drive, and i tried power cycling a few times and couldn't get it to show up again. Went back to the P1 and verified the drive still works on the main motherboard, then it showed up again on the XT-IDE. Either way, it is still unable to boot from it.

Am I missing something here? This was a kit, I believe from blue lava systems, but I assume that doesn't matter. I can take pictures of the board assembly if needed; but I am unsure if this the problem.

Just extra FYI I am using DOS 5.00 as I have the 5.25"s for this and it is partitioned at 20MB in FDISK.

Blog Entries

You're doing everything right, except the partition table was created on the P1 -- you should run fdisk /mbr, then fdisk, delete all partitions, create a new one, then reboot and format c: /s all on the compaq target system. It should work after that.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    You're doing everything right, except the partition table was created on the P1 -- you should run fdisk /mbr, then fdisk, delete all partitions, create a new one, then reboot and format c: /s all on the compaq target system. It should work after that.
    That did the trick. Now I just have to see what's up with it disappearing sometimes on reboots. I guess I need to clean connectors and visit the power supply.

Thanks for your help.