Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried Minix 2.0.2 on their Tandy 1000?

Default Anyone tried Minix 2.0.2 on their Tandy 1000?

Just for laughs I decided to see if I could boot and install Minix on my Tandy 1000 HX. I downloaded the USR and Tiny-root disk images from here:

https://www.minix-vmd.org/pub/minix/2.0.2/

And tried to give it a go. I had to use "truncate -s 360" on the tinyroot image to pad it out to an even 360k; my Flashfloppy floppy emulator didn't like it otherwise. After that it boots through the bootloader, getting to the prompt were you can press "=" to boot Minux. After doing that you'll see the kernel load and it gets to the "Minix 2.0.2 Copyright 1998 Prentice-Hall, Inc." message along with "Executing in real mode", but shortly thereafter the floppy stops and it displays "File system panic: Cannot open root device".

I know Minix 1.x requires patches to boot on a Tandy 1000, but it at least looked like 2.0 might be slightly more forgiving. (There are reports that Minix 2 will work from an xtide drive, while it looks like 1.x needs a "real" XT controller?) I have a suspicion it might be barfing because my machine doesn't have a DMA chip and when the kernel starts it's handing off control from the BIOS floppy driver to a kernel driver that expects full PC compatibility, but I'm curious if it also dies on a DMA-equipped Tandy 1000. A pre-SL/TL machine like an SX or earlier is probably the most relevant comparison.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Blog Entries

I would not expect any system without a DMA chip to work with any OS that isn't DOS. Like, I wouldn't even waste my time, honestly.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I would not expect any system without a DMA chip to work with any OS that isn't DOS. Like, I wouldn't even waste my time, honestly.
    I figured it was probably futile, yeah, but since it is a real mode OS I thought there might be a remote chance it'd use the BIOS calls. (The claim that'd run on an XTIDE got my hopes up, because that's nothing like a standard XT hard drive on a hardware level.) Nice thing about floppy emulators and whatnot is it's only ten minutes or so to try your luck.

Still curious if other Tandy 1000 issues like the shared video memory, etc, are also deal breakers, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    I figured it was probably futile, yeah, but since it is a real mode OS I thought there might be a remote chance it'd use the BIOS calls. (The claim that'd run on an XTIDE got my hopes up, because that's nothing like a standard XT hard drive on a hardware level.) Nice thing about floppy emulators and whatnot is it's only ten minutes or so to try your luck.

Still curious if other Tandy 1000 issues like the shared video memory, etc, are also deal breakers, I guess.
    I'll give it a shot on my 1000TL, it DEFINITELY has a DMA controller. I remember running minix on my hp 200lx for kicks.

I will add 'has anyone tried ELKS on a 1000' to the pondering as well...
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

I downloaded a 720kb minix 1.7 and 2.0 boot floppy but it hangs at a _ character booting from my hxc gotek, both of them in the same place. Not sure why that is. I get the = prompt, and it loads three modules, then goes to blank screen with _ in top-left corner

I wonder if Minix barfs on a TL because it tries to switch into Protected mode after detecting a 286 CPU. (On my EX it gets far enough to inform me it's running in Real mode.) I'm pretty sure the TX/TL Tandy 1000s lack the necessary bios services and hardware (the keyboard A20 gate?) to survive a trip into Protected mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    I wonder if Minix barfs on a TL because it tries to switch into Protected mode after detecting a 286 CPU. (On my EX it gets far enough to inform me it's running in Real mode.) I'm pretty sure the TX/TL Tandy 1000s lack the necessary bios services and hardware (the keyboard A20 gate?) to survive a trip into Protected mode.
    Doesn't seem like it. It's booting the exact same way on a 1000HX PCEM emulated system. Probably a fault with my disks. What are you using for minix media?

*edit*

Never mind, obviously it's linked in your original post! I'llg rab those media and try.

*/edit*

For what it's worth, PCEM fails to boot on both HX and SL/2 emulated systems, with "at-hd0: probe failed, cannot open root device" etc. etc.

I believe that's the same message you're receiving?

This is with the pcem emulated xt-ide disk adapter.

ENtering boot monitor, typing "hd=bios" and then "boot" got me to a different failure point in PCEM, at least.