Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried Minix 2.0.2 on their Tandy 1000?

BOOT must be A: drive, USR must be B: drive, not using XT-IDE at all.

I'm now to the point "Kernel panic: Not enough memory for RAM disk"
    Last edited by keenerb; June 3rd, 2020 at 10:42 AM.

I can't get anything to work; maybe doing it like I did on 200LX is the way to go, I seem to remember you boot into DOS and runa command to restart in minix. Gonna see if I can find a reference to how that's done.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

You have it running on the 200lx?

AGES ago, unless my memory is seriously defective.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000919...erols.com/rld/

That link has some more information about it, specifically this text file:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000808.../rld/MINIX.TXT

I've tinkered with it in PCEM all evening; nothing < 286 will boot minix 2.0.2 completely as far as I can tell. Everything > 286 seems to work OK. That may be an artifact of some sort of issue with XT-IDE, since the 286+ machines in pcem use XT-iDEAT or native IDE support, while the 8088/8086 use XT-IDE 8-bit mode.

The easiest way to get into a minix environment was to use DOSMINIX as described here:

https://minix1.woodhull.com/faq/dostest.html

but of course you wouldnt have a hard disk on your 1000HX...
    Last edited by keenerb; June 3rd, 2020 at 01:31 PM.

Important note: Version 2.0.4 will not run on a system with only 640K! The halfbaked swapping code does not fully compensate for the increased memory use of other parts of the system, most notably the shell. The documentation has not been updated to reflect this, because we still have the hope that the next version will again run on the XT.

https://minix1.woodhull.com/current/2.0.4/

Maybe that's the problem. It says 2.0.4 but all XT systems I've tested have 640kb of memory, all the 286+ have 1mb. I'll test it out.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Tandy 2000s I believ naturally upgrade to 768k. With some hack they can go up to 896k. Fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    The easiest way to get into a minix environment was to use DOSMINIX as described here:

https://minix1.woodhull.com/faq/dostest.html

but of course you wouldnt have a hard disk on your 1000HX...
    But I do have a hard disk in my HX. Well, a homebrew XT-CF, anyway.

I'll give the boot-from-DOS thing a try, since that doc you pointed to does specifically say that it uses MS-DOS calls to drive the hard disk. Obviously floppy disk access will still be foobar-ed if the lack of DMA is a problem, but unless it proactively dies during initialization it might be okay if I don't actually try to read one.

Whether an HX will have enough free RAM to work is a good question, if it has to keep DOS resident at the same time.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Booting to DOS and then to Minix via image worked better than anyting in a pc-em emulated 1000HX.

I got this far, but it never started daemons/dropped to an SH prompt, like it does on 286+ machines.

minix.jpg

Holy cow does it take a significant amount of time on a real hardware 1000HX to fetch a six megabyte zip file with MTCP's htget. And then it takes another million years or so to use pkunzip to unpack the 40 megabyte disk image inside.

But, in any case, it tentatively looks like success with Minix 2.0.2!

minix.jpg

The most important command, "shutdown -r now", works, at least.

Man, now I might have to try wasting the time to see if I can assemble a kernel with network support and see if it'll talk to my titularly-NE2000-compatible-but-not-really network card so I can, er, ping something.

Edit: It's kind of fascinating/scary that it tells me it has more than 640k of memory, given this is a PC that best case has only 624k contiguous base memory. It seems to be aware of the total amount of RAM base+upper that DOS has available when it's loaded. (My HX has 112k of upper memory that DOS and drivers are loaded into. I started it up again without my packet driver loaded and the difference between the two figures was congruent with not having it stashed up there.) Can it actually *use* that RAM or is it very confused because it's reading some aggregate free memory number from DOS when it starts?
    Last edited by Eudimorphodon; June 3rd, 2020 at 05:37 PM.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Holy cow does it take a significant amount of time on a real hardware 1000HX to fetch a six megabyte zip file with MTCP's htget. And then it takes another million years or so to use pkunzip to unpack the 40 megabyte disk image inside.

But, in any case, it tentatively looks like success with Minix 2.0.2!

minix.jpg

The most important command, "shutdown -r now", works, at least.

Man, now I might have to try wasting the time to see if I can assemble a kernel with network support and see if it'll talk to my titularly-NE2000-compatible-but-not-really network card so I can, er, ping something.

Edit: It's kind of fascinating/scary that it tells me it has more than 640k of memory, given this is a PC that best case has only 624k contiguous base memory. It seems to be aware of the total amount of RAM base+upper that DOS has available when it's loaded. (My HX has 112k of upper memory that DOS and drivers are loaded into. I started it up again without my packet driver loaded and the difference between the two figures was congruent with not having it stashed up there.) Can it actually *use* that RAM or is it very confused because it's reading some aggregate free memory number from DOS when it starts?
    Awesome, I'm glad I could help with that a little bit.

I'm breaking out one of my 200lx's and setting minix up on it later tonight, for old time's sake