Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making John's IDE Board work Ver. 3a

Default Making John's IDE Board work Ver. 3a

Hi All;

I now have John's IDE Board, Version 3a, and it doesn't work, I like to raise my Frustration Level..

And like most of the other Boards, I can't get it to work, I got the Z-80 CPU and the Serial Boards to work..

And since I have been having trouble with the ZFDC Floppy Controller, I though, I would get the IDE Board and use that to get CPM running on and that then would make getting the ZFDC Board working much easier..

Only, I can't get the GAL's to work.. AT this point I have only the GAL1 and U110 (74LS04) in the Board, so that when I put the Program, as per John's Web Site in I should get output from the GAL.. I have downloaded from John's Web Page the Corrected Gal Programs for Gal1 and Gal2..

The Program is DB 30, IN 30,
    C3, 00, 00.. Jump back to 00..
    And, so I should see the 8255 Sel line pulse as the program runs.. Which it doesn't do.. It is always High..
    So, my choice is see if someone can make sure that the GAL program is Correct, or find a non -GAL (Lower rev Board) that they would have for sale (I would need two of them, if possible)..

I have even thought that I might Wire-Wrap Version 2 of the Board, to get something to Work..

So, any Help and or suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated..

THANK YOU Marty
    Last edited by Marty; June 3rd, 2020 at 01:51 PM.

Hi All;

Well, I have managed to take the next step, in the process.. I have started to Wire-wrap a Board, first I placed the Sockets where I wanted them and then, now I am wiring up the Power and the Ground.. It has passed it's first test, I got it to light up the Led that shows there is power to the Board..

Next, I am wiring up all of the Power and Ground connections and then I will start to wire it up to the point of where I was on the other Board, can I make it see that it is selected and show me that it is..

I plan on having plenty of Led's on the Board..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;

The Board is wired up enough to have it show that it is selected at the correct address..

On to the next phase or step of wiring..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;

The board is mostly wired up, except for the Cylinder, track and Sector Led's, and it passes the preliminary tests from John's site..

Which is good news for my wiring and for me..

Now for some Software look into, to find out the problem, as to why the "P" command doesn't seem to work or act correctly.. It has had this problem even before I built this board..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;

It is as far as I can tell, all wired up..

No smoke, but the Regulator is getting really Hot, So I need to put in something else in there..

I get the Led's to show a High cylinder number and a sector number, so that seems to work.. I think this is progress..

I can't, so far get John's program MYIDE to work, but I don't have a console Input/ output working, and so far it doesn't work with my serial Board at port Ax..

But, as far as I am concerned, it is progress..

THANK YOU Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    Hi All;

I now have John's IDE Board, Version 3a, and it doesn't work, I like to raise my Frustration Level..

And like most of the other Boards, I can't get it to work, I got the Z-80 CPU and the Serial Boards to work..

And since I have been having trouble with the ZFDC Floppy Controller, I though, I would get the IDE Board and use that to get CPM running on and that then would make getting the ZFDC Board working much easier..

Only, I can't get the GAL's to work.. AT this point I have only the GAL1 and U110 (74LS04) in the Board, so that when I put the Program, as per John's Web Site in I should get output from the GAL.. I have downloaded from John's Web Page the Corrected Gal Programs for Gal1 and Gal2..

The Program is DB 30, IN 30,
    C3, 00, 00.. Jump back to 00..
    And, so I should see the 8255 Sel line pulse as the program runs.. Which it doesn't do.. It is always High..
    So, my choice is see if someone can make sure that the GAL program is Correct, or find a non -GAL (Lower rev Board) that they would have for sale (I would need two of them, if possible)..

I have even thought that I might Wire-Wrap Version 2 of the Board, to get something to Work..

So, any Help and or suggestions would be Greatly Appreciated..

THANK YOU Marty
    I don't think John suggests populating the board with only the GAL1 and 74LS04 for the first testing of the board. From his site:

"Next install the two switches and only U2 and U3. We now will check port addressing. The board utilizes 74LS682's for port addressing. If your are unfamiliar with this technique click here.

Let’s assume you will be using the 4 port block 30H to 33H. This is what I have the diagnostic software (MYIDE.ASM) port defaults. We will set the 16 bit I/O address range to 00xxH by jumpering K5 to 1-2 (the top two positions). Set switch SW2 positions 1-8 to closed. Set switch SW1 to 30-34H by having the switches (left to right):-
    Open, closed, closed, open, open, closed, closed, closed.

Now put the card in your S-100 extender card and start the computer.
    With your monitor at 0H in RAM enter:-
    DB, 30, C3, 00, 00
    Jump to 0H. With a probe you should have pin 19 of U2 pulse continuously. Do not go further until you see this."

Also, I've had problems with eBay GAL22V10's not programming correctly. Some appear to be dead, others are recycled PAL22V10's and therefore once programmed and useless since they are a one time program chip. Also, my TL866 needed the latest firmware to sometimes be able to program the 22V10's. If that's what you are using, try reading the GAL after rebooting the programmer and see if the chip matches the program since the TL866 seems to not read the GAL and only sees what it thinks it programmed into the GAL otherwise.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts

Will you please post the URL to this IDE Board you are talking about. Google doesn't
    seem to find it for me.

Thanks.

Larry

Larry - this is the "IDE Drive Interface S100 Board" they are discussing:

http://www.s100computers.com/My%20Sy...IDE%20Card.htm

You can find the link to that board, as well as a long list of other "new design" S100 boards on the S100computers.com web site at:

http://www.s100computers.com/My%20Sy...dex%20Page.htm

Hi All;

DeltaDon, Thank You for Your suggestions and help..

" I don't think John suggests populating the board with only the GAL1 and 74LS04 for the first testing of the board. "

That was after I had the whole board populated, and I had the 74LS04 and the GAL1 in, just to test that the GAL is/was working properly.. The 74LS04 was there for the Psync signal, and the GAL1 for the rest of the addressing, so when the program was run I should get an output from the GAL, which it didn't have..

I have the whole Board Rev 2 Wire-wrapped, and as near as I can tell, it is working.. I have to do the rest of the tests on the 8255 IC, but, on the ones that I have attached to an Led 10 bar array, they are working fine.. So, port C of the 8255 is Correct, I still have to check ports A and B.. But, it is looking fine and I am happy with my results..

THANK YOU Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    Hi All;

DeltaDon, Thank You for Your suggestions and help..

" I don't think John suggests populating the board with only the GAL1 and 74LS04 for the first testing of the board. "

That was after I had the whole board populated, and I had the 74LS04 and the GAL1 in, just to test that the GAL is/was working properly.. The 74LS04 was there for the Psync signal, and the GAL1 for the rest of the addressing, so when the program was run I should get an output from the GAL, which it didn't have..

I have the whole Board Rev 2 Wire-wrapped, and as near as I can tell, it is working.. I have to do the rest of the tests on the 8255 IC, but, on the ones that I have attached to an Led 10 bar array, they are working fine.. So, port C of the 8255 is Correct, I still have to check ports A and B.. But, it is looking fine and I am happy with my results..

THANK YOU Marty
    Just trying to understand and help. I hate wire wrapping, I'm not good at it. I've had my share of problems over the years trying to figure out just why a good board doesn't work.
    Crazy old guy with a basement full of Pentium 1 laptops and parts