Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fix for issue with DOS NFS client (XFS 1.x) on PC-DOS 7. Also, DR-DOS 6.0 issue

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Unless your XT is a lot faster than mine you'll probably grow pretty old and gray copying more than 8GB.
    I don't want to copy that much -- I want that much (and more) accessible on-demand. For reasons.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by resman View Post
    So you've inspired me to return to XFS. I just made a new share and gave the directory full permission to everyone. Not something I was willing to do to my home directory.
    Heh. You could tell the server to lock down the allowed clients to a specific IP, but, yeah, generally speaking I'd say any network service you run for such ancient and fundamentally insecure purposes you should either consider a confidentiality-free zone or needs to be strictly air-gapped.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I don't want to copy that much -- I want that much (and more) accessible on-demand. For reasons.
    If it's mostly going to be reading then I'd definitely look into seeing if some of the no-checksum and other options speed it up. I was also running over a combination of wifi and a known-cruddy ethernet bridge, which may have made it *particularly* troublesome.

(To a wired-on-the-same-segment host Speedtest manages about 50% better results, which gives you an idea of how awful that ethernet bridge is. Was too lazy to move a server to the other side for initial smoke tests.)

I have using XFS v1.91 for years and it's an awesome piece of software. Here is a howto to setup it:

http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/NFS

The howto mentions a specific 8086 version which I was never able to find ...

This is my configuration:
    * Client side
    I use this to start/stop the client
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    :: XFS start/stop script
    IF .%1 == . GOTO start
    IF .%1 == .STOP GOTO stop
    IF .%1 == .stop GOTO stop

:start
    :: use your own packet driver
    loadhigh d:\drivers\pcipkt 0x60
    ::loadhigh d:\xfs\winpkt 0x60
    loadhigh d:\xfs\xfskrnl 0x60
    d:\xfs\xfstool @init
    GOTO end

:stop
    d:\xfs\xfstool @fin
    ::d:\xfs\winpkt -u
    :: use your own packet driver
    d:\drivers\pcipkt -u

:end
    Run startnet STOP to unload the hole thing and free the memory.

This is the "init" file
    Code:
    #
    # XFS Start Command Script

init i486 sm=255.255.255.0 gw=192.168.2.1 csum=off

# authentication
    # You need the pcnfsd daemon for this to work
    #pcnfsd debian
    #login

mount z: debian:/srv/nfs
    mount lpt1: debian:canon timeo=30

show
    rdate debian
    and this is the "unload" script
    Code:
    #
    # XFS Stop Command Script
    #

show
    umount all
    #logout
    unload
    You also have to configure a hosts file on the client to resolve host names (i.e. my nfs server "debian" is 191.168.2.6)

* Server side:
    You need to configure an /etc/exports file:

Code:
    # /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
    #		to NFS clients.  See exports(5).
    #
    /srv/nfs       192.168.2.0/24(rw,sync,no_subtree_check,all_squash,anongid=999)
    192.168.2.0 is my home network. I map all NFS users to group "share" because I have the group suid bit enabled in directory /srv/nfs to preserve the group ownership on newly created files.

Code:
    $ ls -l /srv/
    total 24
    drwxrwsr-T 6 nobody share 4096 may 30 08:13 nfs
    You only need the pcnfsd daemon to authenticate users and print. I have a debian (and RPM) script to build such packages.
    Last edited by dieymir; June 5th, 2020 at 11:01 PM.

I forgot to upload the debian package sources. Here it is:

pcnfsd.zip

to build it:

1) Extract the contents of the zip file
    2) Go to pcnfsd/pcnfsd-2.0.build
    3) Run dpkg-buildpackage in that directory

it will create a pcnfsd_2.0-4_amd64.deb package in pcnfsd with these contents:

Code:
    $ dpkg -L pcnfsd
    /.
    /etc
    /etc/init.d
    /etc/init.d/pcnfsd
    /etc/pcnfsd.conf
    /usr
    /usr/man
    /usr/man/man8
    /usr/man/man8/rpc.pcnfsd.8.gz
    /usr/sbin
    /usr/sbin/rpc.pcnfsd
    /usr/share
    /usr/share/doc
    /usr/share/doc/pcnfsd
    /usr/share/doc/pcnfsd/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/doc/pcnfsd/copyright
    /var
    /var/spool
    /var/spool/pcnfs
    This works with debian 7 I haven't tested it with more current versions.

I have also a RPM source package to build pcnfsd under RedHat/CentOS but I wasn't able to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by dieymir View Post
    I have using XFS v1.91 for years and it's an awesome piece of software...
    I will definitely see if I can get pcnfsd working. I don't really care about authentication (because, really), but the printer redirection could be interesting.

Have you had any luck getting mtcp tools to use the redirected packet driver socket? It's not really that big of a deal, considering it's DOS we're talking about it's not the end of the world to not have shared filesystems and "internet" at the same time, but it'd be nice if it worked.

On a kind-of-related subject just for laughs today I tried to get the Personal Netware that got installed with Caldara DOS 7 to work. That was a total bust. I don't think a Tandy 1000 was exactly the target platform; if I have my EMS driver loaded it hangs on startup trying to load some of its massive suite of modules with EMS support (I wonder if it's because it's not a "real" EMS 4.0 card), and without EMS it leaves about 400k of DOS memory, and didn't seem to see the mars_nwe server I set up at all, although since I basically know squat about Netware that could certainly be my fault.

Oh, I also tried xfs with "csum=off", and it does seem to make it *much* faster. Maybe on a "real" computer it wouldn't make much difference, but at 7 mhz, yeah, it's significant.

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Have you had any luck getting mtcp tools to use the redirected packet driver socket? It's not really that big of a deal, considering it's DOS we're talking about it's not the end of the world to not have shared filesystems and "internet" at the same time, but it'd be nice if it worked.
    No, but if it doesn't work you can try PKTMUX:

ftp://ftp.cc.umanitoba.ca/software/p...k/pktmux12.exe

there is a sample setup in the XFS User's Manual

PKTMUX does indeed work. It adds another 19k or so of resident software, but since XFSKRL doesn't fit in upper memory on my machine anyway there's no net damage, I guess.

Under PC-DOS 7 on a machine with 624k base memory (yay Tandy) and 112k upper memory the total damage with an NFS share mounted and the packet redirector set up for MTCP is 564,864 bytes conventional free sitting at the DOS prompt. (552k) Could be better, but I've seen much worse.

You do have to be very cautious about filenames on the NFS side, that is most definitely a thing.

You can use XFSKRNLM instead give up printing and recover 9KB. There are several name mangling options for the client but, IMHO, the best one is use defaults and make sure all your files are in lower case letters and 8+3.
    On another matter, I tested all 1.8x versions I could find and definitevely they don't work with 8086/8088 processors.

Blog Entries

What happens if all the filenames are uppercase 8.3?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)