Image Map Image Map

Thread: Commodore 64 PSU - Good 9VAC transformer?

1. Default Commodore 64 PSU - Good 9VAC transformer?

I'm building my own Commodore 64 PSU. I have the 5V line working fine, however I'm having trouble finding a good 9VAC 1000mA transformer to use. Maybe I just don't know the correct search terminology. I would prefer to get one that is not encased in a wall plug housing, that way I can wire it directly.

Can anyone make any good recommendations? Or, the alternative is, if it's okay for me to remove a 9VAC wall adapter like this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B886CAA/) from the shell and use it directly wired, how exactly does one go about that?

As always, thank you to all who freely share your expertise.

If you can source an Atari power supply for the 400/800 series computers, they have a stout 9VAC transformer in them. The early Atari supplies were just 9VAC transformers. The DC power supply was built into the units. They were used on the 400 and 800 and 1200XL computers, the 810 and 1050 disk drive, the 1027 printer and likely some other Atari peripherals. Starting with the XL computer series, excluding the 1200XL, Atari went to 5VDC for their power supplies. I have a 5VDC supply and an old Atari 9VAC supply wired to an appropriate connector to power my 64s. Works like a charm.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fatwizard View Post
    If you can source an Atari power supply for the 400/800 series computers, they have a stout 9VAC transformer in them. The early Atari supplies were just 9VAC transformers. The DC power supply was built into the units. They were used on the 400 and 800 and 1200XL computers, the 810 and 1050 disk drive, the 1027 printer and likely some other Atari peripherals. Starting with the XL computer series, excluding the 1200XL, Atari went to 5VDC for their power supplies. I have a 5VDC supply and an old Atari 9VAC supply wired to an appropriate connector to power my 64s. Works like a charm.
    Beautiful! I do just that. Thank you!!!

Hello phil.bischof,
    Several people that sell C-64 power supplies like to use a transformer from MPJA.com. In the pictures I have seen it's an LP-433 transformer. I built a supply using this for the 9 volt power and it works for my C128.
    Part# 27841 TR

>Charles
    https://www.mpja.com/18V-1A-Center-T...info/27841+TR/