Image Map Image Map

Thread: Texas TMS3417 IC

Default Texas TMS3417 IC

Does anyone have for sale, or knows a source of this IC the, TMS3417 ?

Is there a known equivalent by another manufacturer other than TI ?

It is a quad 64 bit dynamic shift register with recirculate inputs produced by TI around the 1975 era.

The closest modern day equivalent I could find is the 74HCT7731, however it has a inverted clock phase compared to the 3417 and its pin out is different.

(I also found an MC3417L, but this appears not to be a shift register)

Blog Entries

If you're willing to substitute static for dynamic, there's the TMS3121 with the same pinout. The old PMOS stuff is pretty hard to source.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); June 6th, 2020 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    If you're willing to substitute static for dynamic, there's the TMS3121 with the same pinout. The old PMOS stuff is pretty hard to source.
    Thank you.

That could be a solution, though the 3417 is rated to 5MHz operation the 3121 to 2.5MHZ, and I'm not sure if in the application it would matter.

The operation of the IC's is described as similar in the manuals, but the IC's timing diagrams don't appear to match in that the output data of the 3417 is shown going active, from low to high, but the opposite on the 3121 diagrams, but the chip's internal block diagrams seem to match.

Have you ever substituted a 3121 in for a 3417 with good results?

Do you know where I could get the TMS3121 ?

Blog Entries

No, to both--I try to steer clear of the old PMOS stuff whenever possible--and a lot of the old stuff used strange power supply voltages.

Just curious--are the 4 registers hooked in series to get a single 256 bit register?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    No, to both--I try to steer clear of the old PMOS stuff whenever possible--and a lot of the old stuff used strange power supply voltages.

Just curious--are the 4 registers hooked in series to get a single 256 bit register?
    Yes that is right, the TMS3417 requires a -12V supply as well as the usual +5V.

As far as I can tell the four 64 bit shift registers are used separately, but they are all recirculated at the same time.

I'm hoping somebody might have some in their IC collections ?