Image Map Image Map

Thread: Apricot PC Xi

Blog Entries

Default Apricot PC Xi

I've been chasing down a Xen for nearly 20 years now with no success but I was surprised when recently I was offered this little machine which I really couldn't nitpick. It was an Apricot.
    The PC Xi is the Apricot PC, but with a 10mb hard disk, more ram and in charcoal black, otherwise it was still the same under the hood.

It's very clean, came with piles of documentation and software, it has an aftermarket V30 and BIOS upgrade and best of all it works! I don't think I've ever seen a Rodime drive behave this well. The floppy drive likewise needed the usual regreasing but reads and writes diskettes fine.
    It also came with some REALLY nice product pamphlets and a brochure for the Apricot Portable. I am currently hunting down a scanner large enough to take it because while I can find the pamphlets I ahve never seen the brochure.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Whoops! Migrated a photobucket account and it broke all the image links. Here. lets try this again.

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    I've been chasing down a Xen for nearly 20 years now with no success but I was surprised when recently I was offered this little machine which I really couldn't nitpick. It was an Apricot.
    The PC Xi is the Apricot PC, but with a 10mb hard disk, more ram and in charcoal black, otherwise it was still the same under the hood.

It's very clean, came with piles of documentation and software, it has an aftermarket V30 and BIOS upgrade and best of all it works! I don't think I've ever seen a Rodime drive behave this well. The floppy drive likewise needed the usual regreasing but reads and writes diskettes fine.
    It also came with some REALLY nice product pamphlets and a brochure for the Apricot Portable. I am currently hunting down a scanner large enough to take it because while I can find the pamphlets I ahve never seen the brochure.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Excellent space heater

That's a nice find! If my memory serves, the Apricot is a rebadged & upgraded version of the venerable Victor 9000/Sirius 1 but with 3.5" floppy instead of the 5 1/4". It was available in the European marketplace. Can anyone confirm this?

I have a Victor 9000 waiting to be restored. I'm still missing the keyboard for it. I miss the 5 1/4" floppy sounds from the Victor 9000 as it increased/decreased the rpms for the inner/outer tracks!

-ilkka

Blog Entries

That I can find the Apricot PC maintained Victor compatibility, but I'm not sure how they expected someone to overcome the physical media differences. Until the Xen, Apricot never shipped an Apricot product with a 5.25" floppy drive.

I really want to find a place to scan that Apricot Portable brochure. It is beautiful but wider than any of my scanners can take.

= Excellent space heater