Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Definitive way to stop MS Updates?

Blog Entries

Default Definitive way to stop MS Updates?

I'm pretty experienced in this stuff - I locked down all the services, made registry changes, group policy changes... the whole nine yards. And yet again, this morning I wake up to find Microsoft breezily announcing they'd force rebooted my PC (without saving anything that was open) to set up the new MS Edge. Do they maintain some sort of backdoor way to override all the efforts to stop force reboots? I'd really like to know what genius came up with the idea of force rebooting a PC that has stuff open and is clearly in use. And then I'd like to force reboot them in person. And by force reboot in person, I mean I want to walk up to their desks, wait until they've got a bunch of stuff open, and then just unplug their PC. See how they like it.

Most big name companies, when they go bankrupt, I feel a little wistful. But I literally cannot wait until MS is obliterated from the face of the earth by an up and comer with much better human skills.
    Last edited by falter; June 17th, 2020 at 08:16 AM.

Blog Entries

Don't you have "prompt before re-boot set" or were you so confident that you were locked down you didn't bother...
    ... given the reputation Windows had for harbouring "botnets" and the refusal of so many user to install security updates then we reap what we sow.....

and having tried to update a UBUNTU system and seeing the screeds of errors because certificates have expired and old distribution sites being lo longer access9ble, I think no matter what you run you get issues, and it looks like its going to take me days to fix the Ubuntu as it warns "system left in an unstable condtition" with no clues on how to fix. Trouble is its on a HP Miniserver I didn't set up and not sure how to preserve the drive mmirrors. YUK...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

I assume you're talking Windows 10? For whatever reason my machine doesn't even download the new updates until I click a "Download" button. Then when it's done it asks me to click a Reboot button. So I can't see what the problem is.

But, maybe it can't hang on forever? My machine won't reboot when it sees I'm busy. Perhaps if I left it to idle for hours, it might happen?

One thing I do know is that the Edge beta that you can have on Windows 7 uses its own update channel rather than the main Windows Update. Maybe that applies to the official Edge too?.

More questions than answers i'm afraid, but certainly there's some experimenting that could be done to find out exactly what's going on.

Way back in the 386 days I once told a friend there was going to come a time when you would have to be connected to the internet in order to use your PC. Back then when dial-up was the only way to go and you had limited minutes, the idea seemed ludicrous. However, as each new release of the OS came out, MS moved closer and closer to the requirement.

For me I have only one, maybe two, machines which can access the internet. All the other machines have no connectivity whatsoever. I also decided years ago not to use the internet connected machines for anything other than e-mail, web browsing, downloads, online purchasing, etc. At no time do I ever use those machine for real work or put any real data on them. If they got wiped out today or infected, I would just reload.

This is one reason I will never buy a game which requires online activation or any other need to have a machine with internet access. I never want a machine I care about to access the internet without my express consent.

So when you do upgrade to the newer OSes, you are making a deal that you accept the link between your machine and the internet - and the exposure you have to the software accessing the internet when you do not choose to have it do so. I know that doesn't help the OP but it is a fact. Plus, without internet connectivity the need for anti-virus software running on the machine is only needed to scan any new files, programs, etc. and not always running in the background. And it eliminates the need to install a bazillion security updates.

I have not gone beyond WinXP although it seems I may have to go to Win7 on the internet machines at some point ONLY because some websites no longer work 100% under XP. Plus the browsers stopped upgrading for XP a while ago. If it weren't for the internet, WinXP still does everything I need.

Joe
    Last edited by Grandcheapskate; June 17th, 2020 at 10:24 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Don't you have "prompt before re-boot set" or were you so confident that you were locked down you didn't bother...
    ... given the reputation Windows had for harbouring "botnets" and the refusal of so many user to install security updates then we reap what we sow.....

and having tried to update a UBUNTU system and seeing the screeds of errors because certificates have expired and old distribution sites being lo longer access9ble, I think no matter what you run you get issues, and it looks like its going to take me days to fix the Ubuntu as it warns "system left in an unstable condtition" with no clues on how to fix. Trouble is its on a HP Miniserver I didn't set up and not sure how to preserve the drive mmirrors. YUK...
    Just point it to the ubuntu achive in your sources.list.......in /etc/apt/ Same as you would for an old Debian. Then update apt, hell you can even use the Deb archives or third party archives if you want with the ubuntu ones. I still find it amusing after all these years Windows still needs to reboot after almost every update. You can also add more modern standalone (ie static and doesn't rely on extra libraries to run)browser with modern encryption that are in a .tar or other archive format.

Stopped using Windows for everyday tasks about 6 years ago. Had a wee spell on Connies Win10 laptop for a bit but Windows Exploder suxs that much I went back to using Linux. No unexpected reboots at all with it. Even install it on my older kit now. Saves wasting time looking for drivers......and just ONE reboot during the installation process. Forget the comments about modern linux not being suitable for older systems. That is just a bold face lie. I use it on P166mmxs up. Usually just do a minimal netinstal then add stuff as or when I need it.
    Last edited by Caluser2000; June 17th, 2020 at 01:39 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Just point it to the ubuntu achive in your sources.list.......in /etc/apt/ Same as you would for an old Debian. Then update apt, hell you can even use the Deb archives or third party archives if you want with the ubuntu ones. I still find it amusing after all these years Windows still needs to reboot after almost every update. You can also add more modern standalone (ie static and doesn't rely on extra libraries to run)browser with modern encryption that are in a .tar or other archive format.
    I think its stuff thats not in the ubunto archive. So either CMAKE or possibly SIMH....
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

(yaaaawwn) and some people wonder why I'm still using 1980's computers...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    I think its stuff thats not in the ubunto archive. So either CMAKE or possibly SIMH....
    Compile it from source then.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Robbbert View Post
    I assume you're talking Windows 10? For whatever reason my machine doesn't even download the new updates until I click a "Download" button. Then when it's done it asks me to click a Reboot button. So I can't see what the problem is.
    Depends on which version of 10 you have is to how updates work.

Windows 10 Home you have very limited control of updates, like you can't defer feature or security updates by a month or a year, and it'll eventually forcibly reboot itself.

Windows 10 Professional you have much more control over when you get updates, but it'll still eventually download them all if you ignore them. There is a way in GPEdit to disable updates entirely. It works similarly in enterprise.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Is windows 10 "upgradeable" in the same way 7 is? Iow if you have a laptop that came with 10 home, and then pop in a 10 pro disk, will it install w/o asking for the key?