Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TRS-80 Model 1 FPGA Recreation

Default TRS-80 Model 1 FPGA Recreation

Hi Everyone

First post. Myself and a couple of other guys in the community have been working on a recreation of the TRS-80 Model 1 on the MiSTer FPGA hardware platform.

I've just finished adding dual disk drive support and direct CMD loading. This is a hardware recreation of the Model 1.

Details for anyone interested here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/TRS-80_MiSTer

It is of course free, but you need a DE10-Nano to use the core. A quick demo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3yqQb58bhw&t=4s

Thanks

Wow, this is pretty cool! I'm a MiSTer user for several other platforms. Will be good to add the Model 1 to it now as well.

Cool. Let me know what you think. It is model 1 only but supports all single density disks up to 80 track. As per the read me on the core, they need to be in JV1 format to work.

Great. I'd love to get your feedback on it.

As per the core readme on Github, right not you need to be using JV1 images only, upto 80 tracks in length.

If you want to use the TRS-80 level II rom instead of the supplied one, just replace the boot.rom with it in the Games/TRS-80 folder on the SD card. If you do that though, you will lose the turbo cassette loading support.

Thanks

I need to get it configured on my MiSTer, but I'll see how it goes! I usually use the TRS32 emulator, so already have TRSTools as well. My real Model 1's have the Level II ROM of course, so I'll try it with both options.

Quote Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
    Cool. Let me know what you think. It is model 1 only but supports all single density disks up to 80 track. As per the read me on the core, they need to be in JV1 format to work.
    I have a couple of questions, I assume it doesn't require the SDRAM expansion board? I took mine off recently because I got tired of the loud fan. I do realize this limits my core options of course. What about if I use a real level II ROM, do I just rename it boot.rom?

I also don't use the update script because I don't really want all those cores I don't use installed on my SD card. Do I just manually create a TRS-80 folder in the root of my SD card and put my disks, tapes,roms in it?

Played around a little with it yesterday, it's nice to finally get a TRS-80 on FPGA. My desk space is limited so I don't always have my MiSTer set up.

Thanks again for putting in the effort for this.

Very nice! I only have a DE0 Nano... I guess its time to get a DE10!

Quote Originally Posted by eight_bit View Post
    I have a couple of questions, I assume it doesn't require the SDRAM expansion board? I took mine off recently because I got tired of the loud fan. I do realize this limits my core options of course. What about if I use a real level II ROM, do I just rename it boot.rom?

I also don't use the update script because I don't really want all those cores I don't use installed on my SD card. Do I just manually create a TRS-80 folder in the root of my SD card and put my disks, tapes,roms in it?

Played around a little with it yesterday, it's nice to finally get a TRS-80 on FPGA. My desk space is limited so I don't always have my MiSTer set up.

Hi. No, it does not require the SDRAM expansion or any other addons.

To use the Level II ROM, just replace the normal one that goes in Games/TRS-80 with a file called boot.rom.

The folder really should go in Games as per above. You can put the core RBF anywhere you want, but it normally goes into an _Computers folder.

You're very welcome. TRS-80 Model 1 was my very first computer so it was only right it has a good core.

Quote Originally Posted by eight_bit View Post

I figured it out by some trial and error and answered my own questions here. I took the 1.3 version Model 1 ROM I extracted from my real Model 1 and called it boot.rom. It seems to work just fine. I also created a folder named TRS-80 and put all of the disks, ROMs etc in there.

I was able to get a TRSDOS 2.3 JV1 image working. I got a SYS ERROR on an LDOS JV1 image but that may be the image.

Most of my disk images are DMK.