Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: TRS-80 Model 1 FPGA Recreation

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    I was able to get a TRSDOS 2.3 JV1 image working. I got a SYS ERROR on an LDOS JV1 image but that may be the image.

    Most of my disk images are DMK.
    Yes, I have the same issue, although I didn't try anything other than a JV1 disk from the Tim Mann site https://www.tim-mann.org/misosys.html#down

    LDOS 5.3.1 with the patches for Y2k auto applied from TRSTools.

    I'm using my Model Level 2 ROM. It's a version 1.3-1.

  2. #12

    Default

    I copied my TRSDOS 2.3 disk image and then loaded both of them. I did "BACKUP :0 :1" and after the backup it hung at "HIT 'ENTER' TO CONTINUE".

  3. #13

    Default

    It won't work with LDOS and I believe it is down to the Double Density support required by LDOS. I messed with it for ages and it always failed, so I tried the same LDOS images on TRS80GP using the commands recommended by the author to emulate the model 1, and it failed with the exact same Sys Error on the emulator: trs80gp -m1 -ld -b 0

    More information can be found on the discussion here: https://www.reddit.com/r/trs80/comme...isk_emulation/

    It currently only does JV1 because it is a hardware recreation, not a software emulator and JV3 and DMK images are both emulator formats with lots of header and format metadata contained in the format. JV1 is just a raw disk dump of the sectors so a hadrware drive emulator can just use the images natively. I might come back to it later to see if it is possible, but adding emulated image formats of this complexity would take the hardware emulation away from the real TRS-80.

    There is no Format Track option as stated on the readme, so the BACKUP command is not going to work. It needs to format a track before writing the data to it. You can copy files, delete files, etc but not use any track level write commands. This is because the JV1 format does not contain any of the metadata or headers, it is just the regular byte content of sectors.

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eight_bit View Post
    Yes, I have the same issue, although I didn't try anything other than a JV1 disk from the Tim Mann site https://www.tim-mann.org/misosys.html#down

    LDOS 5.3.1 with the patches for Y2k auto applied from TRSTools.

    I'm using my Model Level 2 ROM. It's a version 1.3-1.
    I didn't mean to type Y2K patches, it just came out that way, I mean dates beyond 2012.

    I usually set up my TRS32 emulator to mimic my real Model 1 configuration so that's why I dumped the v1.3-1 ROM from my Model 1 and also use the LDOS 5.3.1 disk from the Tim Mann site.

  5. #15

    Default

    Yes, I was trying the same patch for 2012 dates. If I change the DAM and status flags returned in the hardware, I can get LDOS working, but then non of the other DOS versions work. It is like LDOS is looking for a different DAM code for some sectors on the disk. In an emulator you can fix this by detecting LDOS and reporting different status bits, but you can't detect the DOS version in a hardware emulation, because it is dealing with wire signals the same way the original schematic is doing. I have looked at the code for SDLTRS and that is what it does, it scans the disk at attach time.

    I didn't try it with TRSTOOLS. If you just load the image in TRS80GP it works. However, if you force the hardware to model 1 as per the above settings, you get the same Sys Error message at exactly the same point after entering the date and time.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
    It won't work with LDOS and I believe it is down to the Double Density support required by LDOS. I messed with it for ages and it always failed, so I tried the same LDOS images on TRS80GP using the commands recommended by the author to emulate the model 1, and it failed with the exact same Sys Error on the emulator: trs80gp -m1 -ld -b 0

    More information can be found on the discussion here: https://www.reddit.com/r/trs80/comme...isk_emulation/

    It currently only does JV1 because it is a hardware recreation, not a software emulator and JV3 and DMK images are both emulator formats with lots of header and format metadata contained in the format. JV1 is just a raw disk dump of the sectors so a hadrware drive emulator can just use the images natively. I might come back to it later to see if it is possible, but adding emulated image formats of this complexity would take the hardware emulation away from the real TRS-80.

    There is no Format Track option as stated on the readme, so the BACKUP command is not going to work. It needs to format a track before writing the data to it. You can copy files, delete files, etc but not use any track level write commands. This is because the JV1 format does not contain any of the metadata or headers, it is just the regular byte content of sectors.
    I missed that bit about no format support in the 1771 emulation. Did you just have that command return success?

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
    Yes, I was trying the same patch for 2012 dates. If I change the DAM and status flags returned in the hardware, I can get LDOS working, but then non of the other DOS versions work. It is like LDOS is looking for a different DAM code for some sectors on the disk. In an emulator you can fix this by detecting LDOS and reporting different status bits, but you can't detect the DOS version in a hardware emulation, because it is dealing with wire signals the same way the original schematic is doing. I have looked at the code for SDLTRS and that is what it does, it scans the disk at attach time.

    I didn't try it with TRSTOOLS. If you just load the image in TRS80GP it works. However, if you force the hardware to model 1 as per the above settings, you get the same Sys Error message at exactly the same point after entering the date and time.
    Ah, that is good to know. I will try something else besides LDOS next time.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
    It won't work with LDOS and I believe it is down to the Double Density support required by LDOS. I messed with it for ages and it always failed, so I tried the same LDOS images on TRS80GP using the commands recommended by the author to emulate the model 1, and it failed with the exact same Sys Error on the emulator: trs80gp -m1 -ld -b 0

    More information can be found on the discussion here: https://www.reddit.com/r/trs80/comme...isk_emulation/

    It currently only does JV1 because it is a hardware recreation, not a software emulator and JV3 and DMK images are both emulator formats with lots of header and format metadata contained in the format. JV1 is just a raw disk dump of the sectors so a hadrware drive emulator can just use the images natively. I might come back to it later to see if it is possible, but adding emulated image formats of this complexity would take the hardware emulation away from the real TRS-80.

    There is no Format Track option as stated on the readme, so the BACKUP command is not going to work. It needs to format a track before writing the data to it. You can copy files, delete files, etc but not use any track level write commands. This is because the JV1 format does not contain any of the metadata or headers, it is just the regular byte content of sectors.
    I found a TRSDOS 2.3 JV1 disk and have no issues so far, so I'm back in business.

  9. #19

    Default

    NEWDOS/80 and MultiDOS also seem to work fine, so long as you use JV1 images.

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
    NEWDOS/80 and MultiDOS also seem to work fine, so long as you use JV1 images.
    Thanks for the info.

    I've been testing things I usually use on my real Model 1 and the TRS32 emulator and so far haven't run into any issues. So far everything seems to be working as advertised.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •