Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting building glitch's XT-IDE rev 04

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    Same here, I use Ebah for some stuff and Mouser for IC's etc

Dunno never tried it, I use IPA
    it's 90% alcohol

Poteen or Moonshine or the Baldwin sisters' recipe.

I have a spinning hdd which works in a 5150 with an xt-ide revision 2 card. A DOM won't work.

The same DOM works in my PS/1 with a future domain ide controller.

Blog Entries

I've used shellac alcohol (largely ethanol) to clean flux off of boards and even perc (perchlorotheylene), but water is not your friend.. Rosin, as used in soldering is little different from the rosin a violinist uses or the rosin a gymnast uses--I've soldered with (string bass) rosin dissolved in alcohol--it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I've used shellac alcohol (largely ethanol) to clean flux off of boards and even perc (perchlorotheylene), but water is not your friend.. Rosin, as used in soldering is little different from the rosin a violinist uses or the rosin a gymnast uses--I've soldered with (string bass) rosin dissolved in alcohol--it worked.
    I've used some screen cleaning fluid, probs ipa to clean a small patch of the pcb. it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    Same here, I use Ebah for some stuff and Mouser for IC's etc

Dunno never tried it, I use IPA
    I think surgical spirit is the same as rubbing alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by fjk61011 View Post
    Over €50.oo to buy alcohol, solder, soldering iron and capacitor. nearly there for a completed board.
    Yeah, but then you miss out on all the fun of assembling it and that sense of accomplishment when it's finished and working, if you buy a completed one. :3 That sense of satisfaction when you have your old computer running on hardware that you built yourself is most excellent.

Re: Alcohol: I use 70% Isopropyl that the local farm supply store sells in gallon jugs for 7 or 8 bucks. No place to get 99% here, and the hazmat fees to have it shipped are stupid, but the 70% seems to work alright other than leaving a very slight film behind.

Re: Russian XT-IDE cards on ebay: I have one, and it works fine, but the assembly leaves something to be desired. Solder penetration to the component side is extremely poor (but the holes are through-plated, so it still works). The connector is soldered on crooked, and still has what is it, pin 20(?) installed, so you can't plug an ATA cable into it. The edge connector is also not gold-plated, so number of insertions before it wears out is very limited. That may just be my particular example though. It is kind of amusing to have 74-series logic chips with Cyrillic lettering on them, though.
    Last edited by bladamson; July 4th, 2020 at 07:32 AM.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

There are some bad knockoff cards out there that make egregious mistakes. I can’t remember if it was an XTIDE or a RAM card, but not that long ago I recall someone posting about a card that worked but was flaky; turned out whoever had translated the schematics to their sexy novelty-colored circuit board had left out all the bypass capacitors.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    There are some bad knockoff cards out there that make egregious mistakes. I canít remember if it was an XTIDE or a RAM card, but not that long ago I recall someone posting about a card that worked but was flaky; turned out whoever had translated the schematics to their sexy novelty-colored circuit board had left out all the bypass capacitors.
    But as we all know, capacitors are evil things. I see lots and lots of posts about them going bad. I think capacitors should be prevented from going into all future electronics products. That will prevent a lot of failures down the road. I can't remember who invented capacitance, but if there are any statues of that person, the statues should be pulled down.

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    But as we all know, capacitors are evil things. I see lots and lots of posts about them going bad. I think capacitors should be prevented from going into all future electronics products. That will prevent a lot of failures down the road. I can't remember who invented capacitance, but if there are any statues of that person, the statues should be pulled down.
    I think it was Kanye West.