Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is/are your Project(s) during this pandemic ?

Default What is/are your Project(s) during this pandemic ?

conversation Bit: working on converting a rusted out FD500 external drive case,
    and making it into an external FreHD and Gotek system for Model 3/4
    (I am only giving a hint what it will look like.. need to do the whole write up afterwards..)

So what are you working on today/this week/right now/planning to do next...???

Gaming: i7-8700K, 16GB, 1TB SSD, RTX 2060, Dual 27" LG IPS Monitors.
    Vintage: TRS-80 MODEL 4, 128K RAM, Internal: 360K FDD, Gotek USB FDD & FreHD HDD Combo, External: 360K & 720K FDD, RS232-WIFI MODEM, DWP-210
    Web Site: https://texastandyrestoration.com/ - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TexasTandyRestorations/

(Edit: Ah, I didn't realize this was in Tandy rather than General until after I'd posted. Please forgive me meanderings into non-Tandy stuff. But there is *some* Tandy stuff, so I'll leave it. )

I didn't get a coronavacation, but am having to work extra since nobody else is. The wonders of being self-employed. Though I am thankful that I'll still have a job when the "free" money disappears.

I did use some of my, ah, hard-earned coronabux on a broken TRS-80 Model 4 to fix though, but I haven't gotten 'round to that project yet.

I only have evenings to work on stuff, but since the fun times started I have refurbished a Compaq Prolinea 486 and gotten Slackware 12.2 going on it, and refurbished a Zenith Z-19 serial terminal and a TRS-80 DT-1 serial terminal.

I've also been devising a plan and prototyping software to use cheap raspberry pi zeroes to turn the ports on my serial hardware into TCP sockets on the LAN so I can connect anything to anything else using a "termlink protocol", using an open source reimplementation of the Digital Command Language as the interpreter used to configure the thing and link virtual serial ports together. This is a nod to / ripoff of the computer terminals in the retrofuturist post-apocalyptic Fallout videogame series, which I am sure we've all heard of. :3

Tonight I am putting together a new software RAID for my raspberry pi NAS. I sure do prefer linux software RAID to the hardware solutions. It makes things so much easier to move over to completely different machines, rather than dealing with incompatible hardware raid controllers. Unfortunately the pretty 4-bay USB-3 enclosure that I bought for the purpose can't supply enough juice to run all the drives full-bore all at once, and it starts getting USB errors and data loss when I load it down. So I switched over to some super-el-cheapo $10 sata-to-usb3 docks, all with their own separate 2 amp power supplies, and have been running badblocks on all 4 drives in parallel for 24 hours. There have been a couple of USB reset/recoveries so far, but no errors, so I think I'll go with it. Hopefully I won't regret being such a cheapskate later.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Blog Entries

1) Install W7-32 bit in my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe and get it to do my bidding along with XP. Been having some video card issues which I think I now have in hand.

2) In the process of upgrading my Asus ROG Strix X570-F from a 1080 to a 2070 video card. System has a Ryzen 7 3700X, 32 GB RAM, W10 Pro, Seasonic 900w Platinum PP, and a 27" ROG 4K Monitor. 2070 Video card is back ordered,

3) Finishing up on my new Asus ROG Strix Crosshair VI Hero. System will inherit a single 1080 video card in lieu of the the 2 semi-ancient HD 7970 Crossfire video cards (make me an offer). Also, install Window 7 Pro with a valid key as that's due here buy Monday next. System has a Ryzen 5 3600, 16 GB RAM, Corsair 650 PP, and a Samsung 27" IPS.

4) My 1000SX needs to be fired up as well as my 486/66 in a mini tower. The SX has one of the first XT-IDE controllers from Hargle, along with a 4GB SanDisk CF which is partitioned down. The 486 runs W95 and DOS and Leisure Suit Larry could use a workout. Also, there's a few other boxen lying about that could use a good dusting and cleaning as well as a good going over.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

My projects..

1. Getting REXCPM hardware done and launched. First hardware shipped and so far so good. REXCPM is a memory card for Model 100 that enables CP/M.

2. Created and tested a dual CPU adapter for the Model 100. The standard CPU is an 80C85, and this card adds an NSC800 which is a Z80 with the 8085 bus structure. This card allows CP/M to also run Z80 applications.

Lots of fun to keep me not bored.

Picked up a Tandy 1000 RLX with hard drive and VGA monitor. Cleaned it up and got it working. Wiped the personal files of the giver using NU 8. Bought a Seagate ST325X as backup and installed MSDOS 5 on it. Learning more about the machine.

I'd love to get an XT-IDE to work in it, but so far I haven't had any luck with the Lo-Tech card I have

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    I'd love to get an XT-IDE to work in it, but so far I haven't had any luck with the Lo-Tech card I have
    How exactly is it giving you trouble? The only speed bump I had with mine is I didn't realize at first that I had to re-flash the rom with different settings if I changed the dip switches.
    -- Lee
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Here is mine:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...rainer-project

Ordering the pcb's for it today!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bureau View Post
    So what are you working on today/this week/right now/planning to do next...???
    Maintaining mental health -- or trying to, at least -- is currently my #1 project during voluntary quarantine during the pandemic.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Mental health ...where can I buy some?

Me, I'm ashamed and stunned it's taken me so long to replace all the brake lines and hoses on my beater. But it's done. Other then having to drill a few holes in the chassis to effect petmanent securement of said lines (can't rely on tie wraps forever).

Vintage projects? Yeah have a few. What immediately comes to mind is getting my ATjr running, in reality just a vanilla clone, but one that has some groovy traits. Like a Sony v20? clone. It also had something in the way of a boot screen. My bezel says "AMTjr", as IBM made them change the name. But while it was working it would annoumce itself as ATjr. I'm sure glad I found one. The guy bragged nearly immediately after I handed him 25$ back in 02-03. As if I was the fool (Jersey idiots). What I got for tjat 25$ was a fairly rare and interesting piece of computing history. And a 5160 and 5151 to boot.

But what I really REALLY want to do is get my EMCO F1 milling machine operational. I have some stuff I'm itching to make. Like milled brass frames for miniature (TT scale) model locomotives. And such. Loads of things you can do with a machine that carves metal.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Mental health ...where can I buy some?
    I gave up on pretending to be even remotely sane years ago. Must...... Hoard..... Moarrrrrrr........... @_@
    -- Lee