Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picture Size

Blog Entries

Counterpoint: If seeing the date codes or legends on the chips were important, I would have taken closer pictures anyway (and did, when a forum member needed that info). You don't document boards with a single photo.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Previous thread is still open if you'd like to lobby for larger images and sizes: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...and-processing
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Something that exists on the old NerfHaven forum, which has proven (at least partially) successful is a crawler, which wanders the posts, looking for off-board images, and archiving them. So when you come across a post with dead image links, you can click up on the "image archive" button in the top-right, and a lot of the old images ARE in there.
    Now, I'm no expert on this, I have no experience with administering a forum, so I have no idea: could something like that be effectively used on this board? And if so, would it be better at all than increasing max image size, and keeping images on-board in the first place?
    Current favorites: IBM 5160 (EGA+Hercules+PGC, 8 floppy drives, XT-IDE), DCC D-116 (Nova 1200 clone), ASR 33 Teletype (now FULLY armed and operational! Mostly.)
    Wishlist: IBM 5161 (expansion chassis), Diablo 31/RK02/RK05 or equivalent, Data General Nova software, and the meaning of life.

Blog Entries

I don't see how that would be better, since the forum would be storing all of the full-size pictures anyway (unless you had an off-forum archival storage site in mind).
    Offering a bounty for:

I don't know what kind of storage space VCF has on the server, but 5-10MB attachments have been the norm for a long time. Those numbers with no image dimension restrictions would allow posting of large schematics without them getting mangled.

256k is far too limiting, we're not in the early 2000s with 8 bit GIF images anymore. Even with a lossy format like JPG, there's no way to make a 1280x1024 image (the current size limit) under 256k without heavily mangling it by cutting the quality way down.