Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: A mouse that causes pcs to fail booting?!?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NorthWest England (East Pondia)
    Posts
    2,503
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Whilst I haven't had this exact problem I did once plug the mouse/keyboard in the wrong way round which caused i not to boot....
    ...... it was a nasty old Slot 1 with Slot 1 Celleron @ 256Mhz and 250Mb of memory. I was so glad I could break it and get the user amachine that finished booting up before she finished her shift...
    Dave
    G4UGM

    Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

  2. #12

    Default

    Okay I read the guide left for me (Thanks Modem7!) and I checked the resistances and they show up okay. The one that does nothing on the continuity test shows a large number when I check the resistances of it. But it bounces between the number and 0L on the screen. So either I'm doing it wrong or there's something wrong? Everything else seems to test fine. I checked each of the pins and we have continuity from where they are soldered to the board and plug into the computer. The only thing that doesn't seem to have continuity is this one resistor. But it shows a value, even if it's spotty when I check its resistance. So is it bad, or is it fine? Gah, I don't think I have the right tools for this. I don't think my meter has all of the settings I need. To top it off, I got another mouse sent to me recently and it has a strange problem as well. Buttons work, you can click things, but the X and Y tracking doesn't. Very curious.

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanieltolb331 View Post
    Okay I read the guide left for me (Thanks Modem7!) and I checked the resistances and they show up okay. The one that does nothing on the continuity test shows a large number when I check the resistances of it. But it bounces between the number and 0L on the screen. So either I'm doing it wrong or there's something wrong? Everything else seems to test fine. I checked each of the pins and we have continuity from where they are soldered to the board and plug into the computer. The only thing that doesn't seem to have continuity is this one resistor. But it shows a value, even if it's spotty when I check its resistance. So is it bad, or is it fine? Gah, I don't think I have the right tools for this. I don't think my meter has all of the settings I need. To top it off, I got another mouse sent to me recently and it has a strange problem as well. Buttons work, you can click things, but the X and Y tracking doesn't. Very curious.
    A momentary value that changes to OL is not a value. It is opened. You are seeing a capacitance that is someplace else in the circuit that is in parallel with the resistor. That momentary value is how isolated capacitors act.
    Dwight

  4. #14

    Default

    Only time I had a mouse freeze the machine was because 2 of the pins in the PS2 plug were pushed together, causing a short circuit.

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    A momentary value that changes to OL is not a value. It is opened. You are seeing a capacitance that is someplace else in the circuit that is in parallel with the resistor. That momentary value is how isolated capacitors act.
    Dwight
    Does that mean that the resistor is bad? I did finally get some pictures taken. The resistor marked R1 is the one that doesn't give a reading. And I checked the pins on the PS/2 connector Robbbert, but none of the pins appear to be bent. Okay, I cannot seem to shrink the pictures down to a size that works on the site? I will try and find more ways to compress the pictures and then I will post them.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanieltolb331 View Post
    Does that mean that the resistor is bad? I did finally get some pictures taken. The resistor marked R1 is the one that doesn't give a reading. And I checked the pins on the PS/2 connector Robbbert, but none of the pins appear to be bent. Okay, I cannot seem to shrink the pictures down to a size that works on the site? I will try and find more ways to compress the pictures and then I will post them.
    If you have a windows machine, you can use Paint program to reduce them. You need to experiment as the program expects a pixel dimensions.
    Dwight

  7. #17

    Default

    dead resistor.jpg2nd mouse.jpgjunk meter.jpg Okay. Here are the pictures resized and shrunk. Hopefully they will be high enough quality to see info.

  8. #18

    Default

    By the way, the picture where you can see more than the mouse? I have two of those. When the first didn't work, the seller sent me a second one. It has the same issue, The mouse buttons work, but even though the ball is moving and the wheels are turning, motion is not tracked. In either direction. I would think that would mean there is something wrong with the microcontroller maybe?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,837

    Default

    5-band, that colour wise, looks like |orange|black|brown|red|brown|

    Per the 'Resistor Color Code Table' at [here], 30.1 kΩ of 1% tolerance
    Example at [here].

    Looking at your multimeter photo, the resistance (Ω) setting of '200k' (i.e. 200 kΩ or less) is the first to use for an expected 30.1 kΩ resistor.

    Make sure the probes are going through whatever buildup (e.g. oxide) that may be on the legs of the resistor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanieltolb331 View Post
    In either direction. I would think that would mean there is something wrong with the microcontroller maybe?
    The circuit diagram would need to be determined. There could be other components that are common to both X and Y movement detection. For example, maybe the light emitters/detectors for both X and Y are power sourced through the same resistor.

  10. #20

    Default

    I don't have a diagram for the circuit, but could I follow the traces to get a good idea? I have tried setting the multimeter to resistance and I set it I think to 2M and I got a reading for a brief flash and then the meter reads OL again. But for an instant I get a reading. I wonder if that resistor is easy to find. Time to go look for them.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •