Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A mouse that causes pcs to fail booting?!?

Blog Entries

Got a digicam? IR LEDs are quite visible to those.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Yep, I hadn't thought of that.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Using the camera on my mobile phone, the LED in my TV's remote shows quite well in normal room light, and up to 45 degrees off the center-line of the LED.

But another remote of mine, one for a light projector, needs to be operated almost directly inline with the projector's receiver. In normal room light, the camera on my mobile phone only shows light when the camera is pretty much on center-line of the remote's LED, and the light is quite faint. In a dark room, the light shows up much much better, although I still have to have the camera pretty much on center-line of the remote's LED.

So I guess a possibility to allow for, is that the LED in the mouse has low light output, and/or a narrow beam width.

I tried my cell phone camera, as well as our old point and shoot digital camera. plugged in I see nothing. Before I jump to the conclusion that there is something wrong in regards to the infrared LED, I checked mice where the x and y movement works and I couldn't see the IR light there either. So either I'm doing something wrong, again, or my camera's ability to pick that up is so weak that I cannot see the difference. I haven't checked with the multimeter as the battery has gone flat and it takes a specific battery. I hope to pick one up this weekend and check the traces. Thank you so much for the help so far. Another problem just landed in my lap, and I am completely over my head on it, but I will create a post for it later.

Blog Entries

Could be that the IR LED puts out a tight beam that isn't visible from the side, or the LED frequency doesn't register on your digicam.

OT: I've seen folks who disassemble the lens assembly of cheap digicams and remove the IR filter. Apparently, that helps to read really faint IC markings.

I had a moment this afternoon to check out the IR ability on my phone. Turns out it's really good in the Night Mode at seeing IR, and can see it on the remote for the stereo just fine. So I took the board out of the mouse and ran it from the computer to look at the emitters. Nothing. No light. I got as close to head on as I could just in case like Chuck(G) said the IR LED beam was too tight to be seen from an angle. I didn't get anything. I know that doesn't mean that they aren't working but hopefully it helps. Looking at the traces on the back of the board, it looks like the IR emitter on one side traces all the way around to the Cap on the other side of the board, but the other emitter goes through a jumper, to another jumper wire and then directly into the controller chip on pin 15, I think? I can take a picture again if that will help? Please let me know, and any suggestions on further testing would be extremely appreciated. I have ordered some resistors which should arrive in a couple weeks from Mouser. They are in stock, just takes a while for me to get parts from them, but they always have what I need.

One side it the emitter and the other side is the detector. There are usually 4 terminals. There are usually two on each side of the wheel.
    Dwight

Yes. On this mouse one side is a clear plastic and you can see what looks like a CMOS sensor inside, and the other side is a dark brown or black plastic. I looked at both sides just in case I was looking at things wrong and I could see nothing either way. But looking at the back of the board, I couldn't see that either one of the sensors on both locations came together through a component on the front. I couldn't even see a trace from both that went to the controller chip. I feel so beaten because I am so terribly bad at this and I can't seem to improve my skills. It's like I'm blind, even though I'm looking right at what is probably the problem.

Did you do any of the voltage checks I suggested?
    Dwight

I did not. I haven't had a chance to get the battery I need for the meter I have. It's a weird battery, I have to go pick one up or go get another meter.