Image Map Image Map

Thread: A mouse that causes pcs to fail booting?!?

Default A mouse that causes pcs to fail booting?!?

So recently I bought a pair of Packard Bell branded mice off an auction site. I got them in, tested one. It worked. Didn't think anything else about it. Yesterday I was working on a Packard Bell machine so I hooked up the second mouse from the pair and turned on the machine. Machine hung after video bios was shadowed. Thought something was wrong with the PC. It wasn't until today while I continued testing, finding nothing wrong with the machine after I moved it to the table to work (where I have the other mouse) that I realized if I tried hooking up this particular mouse, the machine wouldn't boot. So I tried it on another PS/2 486. Same issue, but on that one it hung after reporting the 128K cache. Change the mouse. Machine works fine. Both of them. The mouse is very unassuming. It is a PS/2 Mouse, but on the one machine where it doesn't hang up on boot that I tried it on doesn't report that anything is connected. That machine is a NCR System 3230. So would it be a short in the mouse causing this issue? I can provide pictures if that will help diagnose the issue. If there is another cause that is known, any advice on how to correct whatever is the issue I will try it. Or, if there is no fix, I can take it to the recycler. I would like to try to fix it if possible first though.

never heard of this but.... The mouse is connected to a 8042 (compatible) micro controller. I can imagine that if the mouse gives the controller weird signals, the controller itself will behave weird as well. It could be sending so may interrupts to the PC that it won't boot anymore.
    You could check the behavior of the lines of a good mouse against those of the bad mouse. That could give you an answer.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

A lot of the protocol is done by holding the clock. It tells the other end to wait while it is busy. My guess is that it does part of the sequence but at some point it tells the PC end to wait and wait and wait. So it does.
    Dwight

I've had mice with shorted wires cause computers connected to them act erratically. Usually the wire will short right where it comes out the body of the mouse, since that's where it flexes the most. The solution is to cut the bad section of wire out and rebuild the end of the cable connecting to the PCB inside the mouse. Sometimes connectors are used and sometimes the wires are soldered directly to the PCB, in either case, it's not terribly difficult to resolder the wires.